+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 106480 jtracing is an unknown quantity at this point jtracing's Avatar

Yes | No

2000 540i 6 speed transmission fluid ?

My 6 speed trans. has a tag on it that says it takes MTF-LT fluid. This to me looks like it means Manual Trans. Fluid?? I thought it took ATF. Anyone know what type of fluid it would take? Are some years of 6 speed trannys different??

Registered Member
    Member No: 9482 tyrone is an unknown quantity at this point tyrone's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 2000 540i 6 speed transmission fluid ?

All BMW manual transmissions from 9/97 use MTF-LT1 or MTF-LT2 lifetime fill oil. Prior to this, ATF was the primary fill. Therefore, you will see early E39s that use ATF and the later E39s that use MTF.

Don

Yes | No

I'm about to change mine after 60K and it's probably the same yellow sticker on the tranny with MTF-LT-1. I've researched the archives (lots of info) and will probably use Royal Purple Synchromax. Others here know a whole lot more about it than me and the group seems to be divided between Redline, Royal Purple, and the OEM product. Lots seemed to have used Royal Purple with good results...smoother shifting, etc. Some say the jury is still out on the long term effects but others have reported more than 30K without any problems. I'm probably going with RP. Don '98 540i6

Registered Member
    Member No: 106480 jtracing is an unknown quantity at this point jtracing's Avatar

Yes | No

Any opinion on BG Synthetic vs Mobil 1 vs Royal Purple?

Registered Member
    Member No: 9482 tyrone is an unknown quantity at this point tyrone's Avatar

Yes | No

Sorry, no concrete knowledge

Registered Member
    Member No: 83608 Lscman is an unknown quantity at this point Lscman's Avatar

Yes | No

I don't take unnecessary risk......

The factory lifetime manual tranny fluid is a fairly viscous full synthetic gear lube with specific additives, sourced from Esso of Europe. Compared to ATF, it surely extends the useable lifespan of the $4K Getrag, which an important feature since internal rebuild parts are not available. Changing this fluid every 30K miles or so will get rid of particulate that accelerates wear. Of course, this preventive measure is unnecessary if you get rid of your car at 100K mi or so.

540i owners who experiment with thinner, non-approved lubricants that offer better shift quality in cold weather are spinning a roulette wheel. To be clear, ANY thinner lubricant will offer better shift quality becuase synchros rely upon friction to allow engagement. The lifespan of the tranny could drop....time will tell.

The other issue of course is the shaded history of Getrag 6spd Supra owners. They lost many trannys experimenting with alternate fluids. They all switched back to Toyota/Getrag factory fill. Keep in mind that the E39 community "may" learn the same hard lesson in another 5 years.

Registered Member
    Member No: 6618 jimcowles is an unknown quantity at this point jimcowles's Avatar

Yes | No

Operating Fluids Spec SD 90-020 tells what

tells what fluids to use. There are at least 4 part numbers for 6-speed transmissions (2 no longer obtainable) that apply from 9/96 on (all S6S 420G variants) so ATF may be best for some. You can apparently still buy the transmission labels for both ATF and MTF manual transmission fluids - not sure why since the transmissinos can only be exchanged and not repaired. Nonetheless, best bet is to go by the label and let the factory decide. Anybody have access to that OFS document? Wonder if it's OK (or recommended) to use MTF in all 6-speeds or does it still specify ATF for the older transmissions? They do state that no additives or mixing is allowed with the lifetime MTF.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Operating Fluids Spec SD 90-020 tells what

So Jim, where can we get a copy of this spec to scrutinize?? Who's spec is this?

Mike H

Yes | No

The sky is falling, the sky is falling

BMW has been using ATF for their manual transmissions for years. My '93 325i which has nearly 200k miles on it has had nothing but Mobil 1 ATF and has never had a problem. I think BMW changed to the "lifetime" fluid in order to try to find a fluid that was a little more durable long-term even if the shifts in colder weather were not as good. They understand that the majority of their new car buyers are actually leasing their vehicles or only planning on keeping them for 3-5 years and they will have no problems with the tranny's with their "lifetime" fluid during this period. This way, since BMW is now paying for all scheduled maintenance on their vehicles during this time, they eliminated the normal 30k service of this item. Another cost savings for BMW.

If ATF was good enough then, assuming you are willing to change the fluid every 30k or so, what has changed in the tranny's that would cause long-term problems with using thinner fluids now?

Registered Member
    Member No: 6618 jimcowles is an unknown quantity at this point jimcowles's Avatar

Yes | No

A BMW document - costs $12.50. Maybe it's

available at the dealer or the central document place you get the legal ETKs and TISs? That might be as good an investment as the $100+ Bentley manual!? It's part of a folder the dealer maintains and he may let you set it.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Oops! It's SD 89-020 and we'd want to see an

update to the April 1993 edition (if it exists). I found it referenced in my 2000-vintage TIS so maybe there's an update or the dealer will let you see what he uses (if other than the label).

jtracing

Yes | No

Re: Operating Fluids Spec SD 90-020 tells what

So this tranny can't be rebuilt?? What the heck?

Registered Member

Yes | No

"Good enough"!!?? Who here ever said anything

about good enough? We seek out every thousandth HP - we go beyond theoretical - where no one has gone before .... Cost is no barrier - we (mostly) stop only at the boundaries of rice and the ludicrous!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Only by Germans behind closed doors in Germany -

it has no parts inside, as far as we know. But just imagine the hourly rate a mechanic would command who could repair all the transmissions BMW offers!! (He would certainly insert a "Von" in front of his last name after retiring at 30.) So $5K for a remanufactured unit is likely getting off OK.

Registered Member

Yes | No

That's right!!!!! No parts.......

The Getrag tranny absolutely can not be rebuilt outside of Getrag factory service. No Getrag race tranny shops or Getrag jobbers have access to internal parts. If you have a minor problem, Getrag will sell you a reman tranny for about $4K WITH YOUR CORE. They will throw a couple synchros or bearings into your core and sell it to another customer for $4K. This situation is new to me. I'm used to buying internal BW and ZF tranny parts for peanuts.

What a racket, huh???

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: The sky is falling, the sky is falling

Mike,

Hundreds of Toyota owners destroyed Getrag 6spd transmissions using your subjective logic. They made fun of folks who ran factory fill (sky falling), that is, until their trannys began malfunctioning & they were forced to buy new $5K tranny's. Don't ask me what component will fail...it may be a detent bushing that swells or any number of other parts! Getrag has insisted that folks use factory fill. I do not know what componets were changed when the lube spec was revised. ATF lubes are not forward-compatible, according to Getrag Service Dept.

jtracing

Yes | No

Re: That's right!!!!! No parts.......

That is absolute B.S. Why would BMW even engage in business with such a monopolistic sh.. of a company.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Where have you been? This is BMW's strategy for the last 10 years!!! You can not buy internal E39 differential or engine parts either. A couple gaskets, nuts and seals are sold.

Noisy motor or rear end? Say hello to $9K long block assembly and $4K diff assy.

Try buying a set of differential gears or diff bearing or a connnecting rod or piston(lol).

Registered Member

Yes | No

...same endearing attitude that brings us the E60.

jtracing

Yes | No

What about cams, bearings, rings, valves??? They have to be available. If not, they can be made.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information