+ Reply to Thread
    Hemlock

Yes | No

1989 525i radio installation

Can someone tell me how to connect the old wiring from my '89 525i to a new radio? I have the ignition wire (red & white) and the ground (brown) hooked up to their components, as well as the 4 positive speaker wires, front and rear. However, coming from my car, there is also a "dimmer" wire and a "memory" wire (one white, one yellow), two wires that look like grounds (orange and brown), a power antenna wire (white), and a black and white wire. My radio has a battery wire and 2 negative speaker wires with nowhere to go. I hooked my old radio up to make sure a fuse was not blown and it worked fine. Either I'm missing something or the new radio is shorted out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Davez525

Yes | No

Re: 1989 525i radio installation

Check the schematics on your new radio for its ground.... that makes the difference sometimes.

Some units are chassis ground....the BMW unit is an external ground.

Marc

Yes | No

Re: 1989 525i radio installation

I just installed a Kenwood cd player/reciever on my 1990 535i. It had the infrared control on the head unit, and there was no wiring harness to fit it. Your wires sound similar. Here is what I did and it works, including the fader and balance. Crutchfield tells me that wires for new stereos are standard colors for all brands.

[speakers]
    [BMW]Blue (r fr) to gray + R front speaker wire on new unit. DON'T USE the (neg)r fr = gray/black from your new stereo - just tape it off

[BMW]Yellow (L fr) to white + L front speaker on new unit. Again tape off the neg.L fr (white/black)

[BMW]Yellow/Black (L rear) to green + L rear speaker on new unit. Tape off the neg. L rear green/black

[BMW]Blue/Black (R rear) to purple + R rear on new unit. KEEP THE NEG. purple/black R rear for use later - SEE BELOW

[power and grounds]

[BMW]there is a 2-pin harness with the following wires:
    red/white (constant power) hook to new unit's yellow "battery"
    gray/black (low power) DO NOT USE. tape off.

[BMW]white/violet (switched power) is hooked to the new stereo's red "ignition" wire (this turns the main unit on and off when you start the car)

[BMW] brown DO NOT USE - tape off

[BMW]2 brown/orange (these are grounds that are attached to the back of the BMW unit with a nut) these are constant grounds. cut them off the "eye" connector and use as follows:

hook one of the br/or wires to the neg purple/black (-)speaker wire mentioned above from your new unit that you didn't tape off. (It really doesn't which neg. speaker wire from your new stereo you use. I tested them all with the same result . . . sound, and used the purple/black one).

hook the other br/or wire to the BLACK ground from the stereo.
    [BMW]White goes to blue/white "power control/motor antenna" this switches on the amp.

I hope this helps.

Marc

Unregistered

Yes | No

The White Wire

The white wire you mentioned in the last paragraph, the one that connects to the blue/white wire, it switches on the amp. What white wire are you talking about?
    And the blue and black white, are you talking about the large/thick solid black wire with the blue tip?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 162.158.69.56

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information