+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 14380 caylan is an unknown quantity at this point caylan's Avatar

Yes | No

Alexandria Bavarian Service experiences?

Has any1 ever used Alexandria Bavarian Service on Raymond Ave. across from Potomac Yards?

Your personal experiences please.

Thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 8262 revhigh is an unknown quantity at this point revhigh's Avatar

Registered Member
    Member No: 12600 Ohmess is an unknown quantity at this point Ohmess's Avatar

Yes | No

I too like Foreign Service in McLean.

Registered Member
    Member No: 154852 y2krok00 is an unknown quantity at this point y2krok00's Avatar

Yes | No

Looking for a good BMW shop(s) in DC Metro Area

Can someone tell me where I can go to repair my bimmer for reliable and reasonable price? I'd appreciate your remarks, comments or your experience. I need to replace the CV Boot on the left-side according to the recent BMW shop in Rockville, MD.

pt///m3

Yes | No

been there once...good exp...

I always hear they are the best in the area. Grant, the owner, is supposed to be fantastic.

No other first hand knowledge...perhaps check with the local chapter of BMWCCA?

Oh yeah, they are very expensive.

Paul Michael Brown

Yes | No

ABS Rocks!

Late to this thread, but wanted to put in a good word for Grant Randall and the boys at ABS.

These guys are SERIOUS Bimmerphiles and there is *nothing* they cannot do when it comes to turning a wrench. (Check the archives for a report on all their hard work replacing the %&%#@! EDC shocks on my 1991 850iA with a totally sweet OEM setup.)

That said, I concede that Owner Grant Randall has no patience for owners who: (a) cut corners on upkeep; (b) insist he fix some (but not all) problems on the car; (c) whine about the shop rate, the parts markup, etc. etc. etc.

If you only care about the bottom line, take your car somewhere else. If you are SERIOUS about maintaining your E31 in the Washington, D.C. area and you want to deal with indepedent shop that is as fastidious as you are, give Grant a call at 703-836-2002. Sure, his phone manner is sometimes curt. But I'm convinced that's an act designed to screen out the idiots who will waste his time. If you are devoted to 8-series upkeep, you'll get along just fine. Will it be cheap? Definitely not. Will the work be done with an attention to detail equal to the elite tuners at Alpina or PTG? You bet.

And if you're very, very lucky you'll stop by one summer night to pick up your car and catch Grant in an expansive mood as he washes his 3-series touring. (Didya know he used to race BMW bikes?) The next half hour will be like a graduate seminar on all things BMW. And when you drive away you just might be convinced that stock is trick and you'll come join me as I worship at the altar of stock.

PMB

Bala Chandran

Yes | No

Re: ABS Rocks!

Second that opinion. Been taking my 1998 z3 there for about 2 years.

Before that, took it to a bunch of dealers who charged my tons of money and didnt even know how to change a spark plug. ABS took over the car after hearing my sob story, and it has been running like a dream since.

- Bala

Milovius

Yes | No

Re: ABS Rocks!

Well, if you're a sucker for someone who can work on your car and sweet talk you with some "I remember when" stories then yeah, ABS is your place. I agree with the previous more negative comments. Its not attention to detail, its seeing the willingness of the customer to hand over a blank cheque. Everybody's your friend when you're slinging cash at them and if you find that thats something to brag about, then you're a fool.

DC318is

Yes | No

Re: been there once...good exp...

Too expensive, go somewhere else.

John in VA

Yes | No

You'll be happy with the work...

Grant Randall (owner) is extremely knowledgeable, from the 2002tii to modern cars.
    As far as expensive, it's relative. A local independent shop here in Purcellville (between Leesburg and Winchester) charges $90/hr - more or as much as the dealer!

Registered Member

Yes | No

I called once to ask how much some fluid changes

were & joked about piecing together an Inspection2 "on the cheap".
    The guy who answered the phone basically told me "we don't want your business...you can probably find some1 to that for you...goodbye."

@ first i thought he was kidding, then the dial tone came ringing in my ear.

TIFWIW, but lets just say I took their advice & took my business somewhere else.

They've gotten good reviews from ppl, but I guess I'll never be able to comment.

Registered Member
    Member No: 8387 johnfuston is an unknown quantity at this point johnfuston's Avatar

Yes | No

Yeah. I had the same experience. Seems that...

...the owner, Grant, tells potential customers that he doesn't want their business.

It's a bit of reverse psychology that he plays. Funny thing is that it actually works on the arrogant/ignorant/spineless types that are the stereotypical BMW owner.

Interestingly, my car found its way to Grant's shop once. Turns out it was sent there (without my knowledge/permission) by the folks at Wagon Werks. Long story short, Grant didn't have clue one as to what was wrong with the car. As if dead batteries are all that hard to diagnose.

Glad you steered clear of their shop. Probably would've been an expensive mistake if you hadn't. Rgds...
    - John
    '92 850i Twin Turbo

750x2

Yes | No

Turned down

Based on previous recommendations I called to set up an appointment, only to be turned down over the phone, because "we don't do 750s".

Took my business elsewhere.

Registered Member
    Member No: 8387 johnfuston is an unknown quantity at this point johnfuston's Avatar

Yes | No

They want the customer to beg for their services.

Once the customer begs, the wholesale screwing can begin. Interesting psychological ploy don't you think?

Kind of scummy if you ask me. Rgds...
    - John
    '92 850i Twin Turbo

Registered Member

Yes | No

I wonder what that makes their current customers?

Registered Member

Yes | No

I should add that my query was recently in the

teerockness

Yes | No

Re: yup, sounds about right

Ya, sounds similar to my experience as well. Basically had to go thru a quasi phone-interview in order to get my car in. At the time, I kind of understood it - Grant seemed to be annoyed by the typical BMW owner - (e.g., drive it til it breaks, then complain about the cost), so I did put my car in for some work. To quote Grant, he was interested in building a 'relationship' with the customer. Okay, fine, whatever.

The downside of all of this is that after spending a good bit of money there, I've had a hell of a time getting a hold of him. There were no 'incidents' or bad blood to speak of - all bills were paid - I just think that he is so damn busy that all that talk of 'building a relationship' goes out the window when the deal goes down. And man is he busy - I've never seen so many cars lined up in the morning.

I had no complaints about the quality of the work, and obviously he is cheaper than the dealership.

Of course, Grant ought to send a percentage to Arlington BMW, who are, in my opinion, so incredibly incompetent they are making Grant a rich man by virtue of how many repairs they screw up and how many people they are incredibly rude to.

BW

Yes | No

Re: yup, sounds about right

My exploratory phone call was like talking to the Bubble Boy from that "Seinfeld" episode. I'm a little scared.

CalypsoDiver

Yes | No

Re: Alexandria Bavarian Service experiences?

Curry's in Chantilly is hard to beat. They advertise a free loaner, and they actually have one. Not a referral to Enterprise like several BMW Dealers do. Work is always top quality. They only do what is needed. Friendly, and a good value. They've beaten NTB on tires several times. I've taken three cars there over many years, and they are consistently the best!

Registered Member
    Member No: 135492 Chase72 is an unknown quantity at this point Chase72's Avatar

Yes | No

Curry's Auto

Has anyone been back to Curry's lately? And how is their work/pricing? I've been calling around to figure out where to take my car for simple maintenance, and NoVa is really expensive (compared to Boston)...

Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information