+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 36477 XZLR8 is an unknown quantity at this point XZLR8's Avatar

Yes | No

'05 - Comfort Access feature

I spent some time at the dealership today. The new feature for '05, "Comfort Access" (similar to Mercedes' "Keyless Go" or Lexus' "Smart Key"), is pretty slick. No change to the keyfob or the ignition button, but it all seemed to work pretty well on the car in the showroom. I did notice that there is now a thick chrome strip on the exterior handle of all '05 7s now. The assumption was so that the Comfort Access sensors could be underneath on cars equipped with the feature, but the chrome was on a car even without the feature. I'm not sure what Sports will have, since they've yet to receive any '05 Sports.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass that along.
    <small>----XZLR8----

yan

Yes | No

Re: '05 - Comfort Access feature

i think chrome on door handle looks silly (albeit a bit retro). do you have to cary a plastic card with you in your wallet or just a key is enough? what if you drop your key inside your car - will it sense the key is inside? how does it know when to lock - what if you leave the car but your passenger is inside?

Registered Member
    Member No: 36477 XZLR8 is an unknown quantity at this point XZLR8's Avatar

Yes | No

No plastic card, only the key... and it is the same key as before. You simply carry it with you and the car senses you approaching, although I didn't clarify how close you have to be for it to work. I would guess a couple feet. You simply, with the key on your person, lift up on the door handle (with the key somewhere on your person) and the door unlocks. I believe if you are on the driver side, you could have it set to unlock just your door or all doors, much like standard key settings. If you approach the passenegr side (as I was when I was fiddling around with it today), only that door unlocks. When you get in the car (key in pocket), just press the button to start. Repeat to stop the car. The key never leaves your pocket. Get out of your car, close the door and touch the chrome strip on the door to lock the doors behind you.

I would imagine that if you dropped the key IN the car, you'd be unable to lock it in. I'd HOPE that's the case. I know Lexus' Smart Key works that way. It's certainly a feature I'd have to play around with a little more to get a feel for, but it did seem to be working.

As for the chrome strip, it was a thick chrome strip and actually looked really nice. I'd be interested in a Sport, which I would assume wouldn't have them. I wouldn't want a black "shadowline" strip in its place though, but the dealer seemed to think it would be body color on a Sport, although they hadn't seen one yet.
    <small>----XZLR8----

kimer12345

Yes | No

Can my '04 745Li be updated to include/perform this feature that the manual professed was there all along? (feeling jilted....)

Registered Member
    Member No: 119418 51N57AR is an unknown quantity at this point 51N57AR's Avatar

Yes | No

yes it can kimer12345 see your local dealer

Registered Member
    Member No: 119395 1bavarian is an unknown quantity at this point 1bavarian's Avatar

Yes | No

I had the "keyless go" in my '03 SL500. I loved it--once you get used to it, it's a great convenience. Unfortunately the MB system at the time (since changed) required only the credit card sized plastic card. When it malfunctioned, it left me locked out of my car and stranded in NYC when my extra "real" keys were 20 miles away. If the BMW system has a combined key/transponder system (like the '04 and up MBs) you have a fool proof backup.

Jeff

Yes | No

It is a $1,000 option on the '05...can only imagine what an upgrade would cost. I will just continue to push those 'annoying' unlock/lock buttons and keep my cash.

Registered Member
    Member No: 33791 Z8mania is an unknown quantity at this point Z8mania's Avatar

Yes | No

no chrome on our 05Li sport.

Christian

Yes | No

In Germany already available!

Hi!

My 760Li (have a look here: http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e65/6070473-1.html) is already equipped with comfort access. I think here in Europe it is available since Oct 2003.

It's a nice feature! Disadvantages: It is not possible to charge the key-battery in putting it into the lock. Further on, you have to close your car in pushing the door handle. It doesn't close automatically.

If you leave the key in the car boot, and you close it, it opens automatically once again. You can close the car, while the machine is still running. I didn't test, what happens, if you leave the key in the passenger compartment.

Greetings,
    Chriss

Fireo

Yes | No

it was available from '04 chrome strips tell u its

an option on that particular car

06750bmwfan

Yes | No

Re: '06 Sport 750Li- Comfort Access feature

ok i have this option with is nice when you unlock or start but is there anything that LOCKS the car without using the remote buttons?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information