+ Reply to Thread
    Mike

Yes | No

Z3 power seat not working

I tried moving my drivers side seat forward. I didn't realize a vacccuum attachement was lodged in front of the seat frame. The seat went forward a short distance and then stopped. Now it will not go forward or backwards. The raise and lower work fine. I checked the fuse for the drivers side power seat, it is fine. I did not detect the smell of a burnt motor or hear any popping noises. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there another fuse or breaker anywhere for the power seat motors?

Registered Member
    Member No: 4578 wawuzit is an unknown quantity at this point wawuzit's Avatar

Yes | No

check this link out...alot of info

Registered Member
    Member No: 116126 mikeruss is an unknown quantity at this point mikeruss's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: check this link out...alot of info

Thanks for the link. There is some helpful insight into the power seat construction and seat removal. I appreciate the help. I get the feeling I'm gonna be replacing the driverside (forward/reverse) motor.

Registered Member
    Member No: 56153 vcosta is an unknown quantity at this point vcosta's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Z3 power seat not working

Checking the wiring diagram for a 96 - 98 (regular seat), the only fuse for the driver's side is fuse #19 (30 amp). If you have sport seats, the fuse number is the same but the circuit is much more complicated.

For regular seats, there are no limit switches, or any other device to shut off the seat motor when the seat gets to the end of the track. Therefore, I would think that no harm would come to the motor if something jammed the track and stopped the seat movement (not much different than hitting the end of the track). My guess is that the seat is still jammed on something. Check your track closely to make sure a small piece of plastic, or something else isn't wedged somewhere in the track, which is locking the seat movement. You might even try giving the seat a good whack (with your hand) while you have the switch in the "back" position.

If you have sport seats, or if the "whack" doesn't work, send me an e-mail.

Vaughn

[email protected]

Registered Member
    Member No: 116126 mikeruss is an unknown quantity at this point mikeruss's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Z3 power seat not working

Thanks fot the help! After studying the drawings and photos on the web site that 3litre sent me, I had a good handle on how the seat operates. vnc was right, the motor was not harmed by being jammed. By moving the shish kebab drive rods while depressing the forward/rev. switch the seat unlodged. IT WORKS!!!! Thanks for the help guys!!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 118959 seitz729 is an unknown quantity at this point seitz729's Avatar

Yes | No

Z3 Power seat wiring diagram

The passenger seat on my 98 Z3 is stuck in the forward most position. I'm thinking it may be the motor. I would like to switch the wires leading from the different motors to the switch to see it I can get it to reverse. Does anybody have a wiring diagram for this vehicle they can take a look at for me. The one motor has green and light blue wires leading to the switch. The other motor has red and purple wires leading to the switch. I just want to make sure verify the polarity. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.4.234.20

Registered Member
    Member No: 175083 northz is an unknown quantity at this point northz's Avatar

Yes | No
    I know this may sound a little off the wall, but are you sure there is nothing in or on track. I had a ball point pen jammed in mine. I found it when I pulled the seat out to fix the bushings.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 99.249.245.42

Registered Member
    Member No: 118959 seitz729 is an unknown quantity at this point seitz729's Avatar

Yes | No
    no, there wasn't anything stuck in the track. The problem was with the motor. I reversed the polarity of the wires as suggested by someone on one of these forums, to move the seat back. I was very happy not to have to put in any money to fix the problem.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.4.234.20

Registered Member
    Member No: 203098 my1998z3 is an unknown quantity at this point my1998z3's Avatar

Yes | No
    I need a little help too. My 98 has a bad power connection under the seat,main power no problem.Here is my problem,on the main wire into the plug from the floor to the seat is a brown ground and red power,however there is a 3rd smaller wire. does it hook to the power side of the plug or to the ground? I am going to make my own connectors and need info on that small wire. The plug that it plugs into doesn't have it,so it has to be pos. or neg. any help?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.162.238.119

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information