+ Reply to Thread
    Allen - '95 525i

Yes | No

Can an '01 740iL have the Sports Package..?

I'm looking at a 2001 740iL. The individual says it has the sport
    package. I can not easily see the car (it's WAY out of state), but have seen a picture. Before I get any further into the deal, I want to check if the 740iL had the Sport package as an option...I thought that the Sports package option was only available on the 740i model. Fron the picture I can see the shadowline trim and the M-spoke wheels, but that's about it.

Big Dog

Yes | No

I think the answer is no. Get the VIN# and check

with BMWNA 1-800-831-1117. They can tell you the build date and all of the options and accessories.

Registered Member
    Member No: 35891 mwong is an unknown quantity at this point mwong's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes, there was an 01 740iL Sport, but

You will not have the gearing benefit. I am not sure about steptronic availabilities by year or package, though.

Beginning in 1999
    Sport package consisting of 18-inch rims, blackout trim, lower gear ratio, and vavona redwood interior trim became available on the 740i.

Beginning in 2000
    Sport package became available on 740iL/750iL models, sans the lower gearing.
    M.Wong
    E38 2000 740iL Orient Blue

E39 2003 540i/6 Sterling Gray (European Delivery)

E30 1987 325i Royal Blue (Passed on to a new family.)

Registered Member
    Member No: 24318 JohnG is an unknown quantity at this point JohnG's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes - details inside

The 740i Sport has lower diff gears, higher stall torque converter, sport suspension, 18" wheels, steptronic, shadowline trim, and valvona redwood.

The 740iL Sport has S EDC suspension (look for a button next to the DSC button), 18" wheels, steptronic , shadowline and Valvona redwood.

Allen - '95 525i

Yes | No

Comments on sports package or not...

Thanks guys. I am really leaning towards a NON-sport package iL model for the following reasons...your comments are appreciated. 1 - I'm not sure I like the shadowline trim on such a big sedan car. 2- I really don't want to sacrifice any ride quality by the lower profile tires. 2 - I REALLY don't like the "can't rotate the tires cause their sizes" situation...tires don't usually last very long when you can't rotate them...and 18" tires are a lot more expensive than 17". I just went from 17" to 18" on my '97 911 and tires are alot higher...plus I have the 911 for weekends if I feel the need to get "sporty". I welcome your comments. BTW...I love this board. I came over from the E34 section and you guys are great over here. I have alreay checked out E38.org too, Geez, what a great site that is!!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Shadowline is a personal choice

Mine is an iL non-Sport with the 18 inch M-Pars. I would not mind a Sport package, but I wanted the iL more than the i Sport.

Yes, the 18 inch tires are pricey and last less. (I went from 16" Michelin MXV4s to 18" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in a staggared no-rotate size.)

(Chromeline but with 18" M-Pars)M.Wong

Registered Member

Yes | No

16s vs 18s

You can see the difference between chromeline w/16" basketweaves and 18" M-Pars. (Before I went to clear turn signal indicators)

M.Wong

Registered Member
    Member No: 24318 JohnG is an unknown quantity at this point JohnG's Avatar

Yes | No

sounds good to me - non sport cars are cheaper too

When you are looking, I think you will find that non sport cars have asking prices that are $2000 to 5000 less than sport package cars.

It is a double drain on the wallet to have staggered 18"s - not only are they more to buy, but they wear out quicker, and are more likely to be damaged by curbs, potholes, or careless tire shop folks. But they look coooooooool :-)

I go back and forth about Chrome v. Shadowline. On an E34, I LOVE the chrome and HATE the shadowline. I think the more classic looks of the E34 demand a bit of chrome. But the E38 looks good either way to my eye.

Remember, Sport package is sportier than a regular E38. But any e38 is going to be sportier than an LS400 or the like. I was plenty impressed with a 98 740i I got to spend some time with - 16" basketweaves, no VANOS, no steptronic, but still a great driver's car, plus it can do comfy and quiet luxury transport with the best of them should the need arise.

Registered Member
    Member No: 3765 squenton is an unknown quantity at this point squenton's Avatar

Yes | No

2001 7 series model info: everything you want to

The following link explains the standard features & options for the entire 2001 7 series model line up from the 740i thru the 750iL Protection model. It also gives a detailed description of what comes in the sport package for the 740i and the 740iL/750iL.

2001 7 series model info: http://www.bmwworld.com/models/years/2001/7er.htm

BTW, if anyone needs this info in the future...it can be found in the archives easily by typing "2001 model info" into the search's dialog box. Q
    95 525iT (Alpine White)(NEW 7/30/04)
    97 740iL (Arctic Silver)

my Qsilver7 cardomain site

Allen - '95 525i

Yes | No

It seems the 740iL Sport has regular Transmission.

I just spoke to the owner. He says the car has the regular Automatic, not the steptronic...just to clarify.

Allen - '95 525i

Yes | No

Re: 16s vs 18s

Thanks very mcuh for that comparison. It just so happens that I have the E38 16" basketweaves on my E34 (front 1/16" spacers required), and I was considering moving them to a new E38 if I get one. Your comparison makes me think otherwise...I think I like the M-spokes better.

Registered Member

Yes | No

18 inch wheels make a big difference

M-Parallels or any other more sporty wheels make a big difference. Some don't like M-Pars because they are common if the E38 does not have the baskets. I have always liked them. And they are much easier to clean!

More pictures here

You can get all four the same size if you want, so you don't have the staggared tire rotation issue. I like the more aggressive wider back wheel.

I like the shadowline, but my wife prefers some chrome. (Funny thing is, she has shadowline on the E39!)

M.Wong

Registered Member
    Member No: 49872 rhunt17 is an unknown quantity at this point rhunt17's Avatar

Yes | No

And some of us even have 19s! IMHO, (m)

the E38 should have come standard with a bigger tire/wheel combo than 16".

It's a big car, and the 16" BWs look somewhat puny plus they don't allow for much "spirited" driving when you really want to...get on it!-Reed

AutoXer

Yes | No

Re: 18 inch wheels make a big difference

I totally agree with M.Wong. I did the same thing, went from 16" to 18" staggered par and can feel the difference from day one. I also don't have the sports package and if I had to do it all over again, I want it. I went from a '95 740i with SP to a '99 740il without SP, and I wish for the ride and handling of the 740i with SP. I am in the process of dechroming my car and going with the shadowline trim. If I had thought this through initially, I would have been better off initially in buying a SP. Oh well, live and learn.

Registered Member
    Member No: 28680 scola888 is an unknown quantity at this point scola888's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Can an '01 740iL have the Sports Package..?

You can call BMW customer service and give them the vin and they will tell you if it has the sport package or not. The can tell you all of the options as well.

Cameron Reddy

Yes | No

It sure can. I have one and love it. Makes the car look way more muscular. My nest step will be to install lowering springs.

xq740FLA

Yes | No

thats good to know

aflaman

Yes | No

i totally agree

Registered Member
    Member No: 49872 rhunt17 is an unknown quantity at this point rhunt17's Avatar

Yes | No

Correct - iL Sport does NOT have the step...

-Reed

Registered Member
    Member No: 172784 super7 is an unknown quantity at this point super7's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Shadowline is a personal choice

what size tires are you running?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information