+ Reply to Thread
    740flaman

Yes | No

SQUEAK is driving me nuts!

Happy thanksgiving all. QUESTION !!!!! Has anybody HERE had to diagnose and repair an irritating hi-pitch metallic squeak that occurs when you drive very slowly and over speed bumps etc? Its thoroughly embarrassing driving a hi end car that sounds like a 1970's buick bomber going down my neighbor hood speed bumps.... Ive read posts here, that it can be anything from a ball joint to a brake cable? I have a 97 740i with 91k. I took some wd-40 to my car's suspension a few mos back and was able to make it disappear for a few days, only to have it re-appear. Its on the Drivers side rear wheel suspension.

anybody have definitive diagnosis on this on what it was and what it cost the dealer or an reputable independent to fix the problem? .If you post your email, i would be happy to send you the WAV sound file of this most irritating noise to assess....

And, while Im at it...Does anybody have any good solid recommendations for replacement stock wheel size tires for the Continental CH95's that are reasonably priced and have excellent traction in rain?

thanks.

fla740man

thesteve

Yes | No

Re: SQUEAK is driving me nuts!

You missed the point of the WD-40. You're supposed to use it to isolate the problem, not as a fix. So, in order to troubleshoot the problem, you only squirt one suspect part at a time, until you spray the true culprit. Then you replace that part. It may be the parking break gromet, the ball joint, or a control arm bushing. If you don't have patience your mechanic will have even less and will just throw your money at the car until he gets lucky.

740flaman

Yes | No

Steve- your response was entirely Pointless...

Bill Ryan

Yes | No

Re: SQUEAK is driving me nuts!

I have had that annoying squeak in my 2000 il for about a year. I think my squeak is from the rear on the passenger side. Funny thing about it is it dosen't always squeak. Sometimes when I press down on the corner of the bumper the squeak is obvious, at other times is makes no sound. I also have read posts about the parking grommet causing the squeak but that isn't the problem on my car. If you get it figured out could you please post? There is no BMW dealer within 750 miles of where I live so I want to be sure of the problem before I order the part or parts from mainland Canada. Good luck.

Seibenfunfziger

Yes | No

Squeak from inside the car or outside?

I have a squeak from inside somewhere under the passenger side dash. I'm thinking it is coming from the climate control. Particularly noticeable at high speeds in the freeway and putting around town going over dips in the road.

Seibenfunfziger

Yes | No

My bad....outside.

Look at the anti-sway bar bushings.

Registered Member
    Member No: 110699 magnum740 is an unknown quantity at this point magnum740's Avatar

Yes | No

I had it, then it went away, then it came back. >

So far [3 months] it hasn't came back. It was only on the passenger side rear, some people said parking brake grommet - that checked out OK, they ended up replacing the ball joint and I have not heard it since.

You may inspect or have inspected, prior to replacing anything.

KIP

Yes | No

Brake cable

I had the same thing awhile ago. I replaced many parts but each helps only a few days. Later when I see the brake cable, it's clearly the problem. Brake cable runs thru a small thin metal ring that holds it in place. There's a rubber insert between the cable and holder. Over time this piece wears out and the cable rubs against the ring and causes that squeak. If I recall correctly, it's the brakeline to rear passenger wheel. It's also somewhere close to the rear passenger wheel.. If you jack up the car and trace that brake line, you'll see it very clearly. I put a thin piece of rubber between them and it's been good for more than a year now.

Bill Ryan

Yes | No

Re: Brake cable

I think you are referring to the parking brake cable. There is a write up on that topic @ e38.com I have the same squeak and it isn't caused by the parking brake cable. Thanks for your post.

User Level 1
    Member No: 191280 hallinden is an unknown quantity at this point hallinden's Avatar

Yes | No

got the squeak now...

had the loud squeak (rear driver side) last fall...went away during the winter...now it's april and it's back with a vengence...thanks for the clues...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 75.170.135.32

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information