+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 45386 recordone is an unknown quantity at this point recordone's Avatar

Yes | No

jaguar xj8 gearbox fault problem

Please help! I have a 1998 65K jaguar xj8 with a gearbox fault problem what can I do to fix this problem or do I have to send the car to a mechanic? Eriq Greenwood SoCal 7, 94'740I,96'328is

Registered Member
    Member No: 81552 john.millar7 is an unknown quantity at this point john.millar7's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: jaguar xj8 gearbox fault problem

Can you give us a little more information? ie. will the car drive, or is the gearbox noisey etc. Did it just happen all at once, or get progressivly worse?
    Could be as little as a bad electrical connection, or low fluid etc

Registered Member
    Member No: 45386 recordone is an unknown quantity at this point recordone's Avatar

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Yes | No

sorry,
    The car was running great then at a stoplight it wouldn't move then it jerk real hard and the gearbox fault code came up. It will go into reverse no problem but won't move in drive until It reves up and then jerk into a limp mode. transmission don't make any noise it is real quite. the car has 65000 miles. If it was a bad transmission it would have been shifting badly right?
    Thanks
    EriqEriq Greenwood SoCal 7, 94'740I,96'328is

Registered Member
    Member No: 81552 john.millar7 is an unknown quantity at this point john.millar7's Avatar

Yes | No

Did you move the gear selector at the stoplight, or leave it in drive?

Registered Member

Yes | No

It was still in drive the car reved-up and then jerk into high gear.
    EriqEriq Greenwood SoCal 7, 94'740I,96'328is

Registered Member

Yes | No

Do all the gear selector indicator lights come on as you shift the gear lever?
    P
    R
    N
    D

Registered Member

Yes | No

yes, all the shift lights are working fine. Everything is working like it suppose to except the transmission when you shift to drive it revs up and then jerk and go into a limp mode which seem to be high gear.
    Thanks EriqEriq Greenwood SoCal 7, 94'740I,96'328is

Registered Member

Yes | No

You will need to have the fault codes extracted to determine the problem. If you can post the codes on here I could look up the cause from the manual. Autozone will scan the system for free.

cruiz562

Yes | No

I have an 99 XJR and lost the trans last Oct after experiencing several issues with the trans fault light coming on randomly at start-up. The cost to have a new one or rebuilt was more than the vehicle was worth but I love my car. My trans guy offered to install a low mileage used trans at a reasonable cost so I opted for this and after 10,000 miles of trouble free driving, the darn trans light is coming on again only at start-ups just as it had before. As I've done in the past I turn the engine off andwait a few minutes and restart the engine and the light will go off and the car will run normally. The only other thing I have noticed is that the supercharger becomes disabled after an episode of fault light illuminating but returns to normal after a few start-ups. Could there be some external computer glitch causing the same problem and behavior with this second transmission? I have always serviced my Jag at the local dealership in Pasadena but I've become so frustrated with their level of customer service and nickel and dime attitude to permanently resolve this one issue in the past.

Martin Poole

Yes | No

Hi There,

My Jag has has the same gearbox fault light come on today.

Did you finally get it sorted?

Regards

Registered Member
    Member No: 139110 magilla is an unknown quantity at this point magilla's Avatar

Yes | No

OK, all, thanks for help so far. Here is the status:

I took it to a transmission place that has a good rep, and they pulled the code 1722.

Fluid was full.

Here are some other diagnoses: When you start the car, it surges forward in P. Also seems like there is no 1st gear, and it whines until you get fast enough to hit second gear, and then it goes fine.

I found a place that sells remanufactured ZF5HP24 transmissions for $2495.00 door to door, shipping included. (Coleman Taylor out of Memphis.) It includes a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty. (or a 3 year, 75,000 mile warranty for extra $)

The good news is that I have an extended service insurance contract that covers up to $3000.00 per visit for a maximum of $5,000.00 for the life of the car. Since the car has been babied, and it only has 57,000 miles on a 100,000 mile transmission, I should be good to go, right?

Square Trade is the company that I purchased my extended warranty through. Anybody heard or had problems through Square Trade?

Hopefully it works out OK. I am just sick about the Cat being dead... Hopefully this is not it's ninth life, and it will come back good as new!

I'll keep you posted.

Again, thanks for all of the help so far

Registered Member
    Member No: 156557 greergan is an unknown quantity at this point greergan's Avatar

Yes | No

Let me join the crowd.

'98 XJ8L around 95K miles.
    Just driving down the road about 35 miles an hour...big clunking noise and gear box fault light came on.

The car would slowly move from a stop and then run well passed about 30 miles an hour. Straight to the shop with it.

Sounds like a new transmission?

RANDOLPH

Yes | No

Registered Member
    Member No: 139110 magilla is an unknown quantity at this point magilla's Avatar

Yes | No

Here's the latest...

Transmission was shelled - the Clutch A and C destroyed itself...

Apparently from my transmission re-manufacturer for the ZF5HP24, this is not an uncommon fault.

There is a new part number out, that has a snap ring that prevents the clutch from shelling itself..

part number 1055240074

Problem is, the damned krauts at BMW are on strike, and the clutch is on national backorder...

They (BMW) have been saying "2 weeks" for the last six weeks to get the part.

Any help would be appreciated...

jim

Yes | No

have jaguar 2000 xj8 was all fine car adult driven im driving and trans slips in 1st gear when shifts to 2nd and above car is fine runs great come to stop when cold same thing when warmed up car is sluggish in first but as soon as it shifts to second and above runs fine went on highway 70plus all fine shifts just in that first gear when cols its slips then bangs into gear rpm goes up then his second and all is good any ideas?

Registered Member
    Member No: 145397 BRIAN98VDP is an unknown quantity at this point BRIAN98VDP's Avatar

Yes | No

Do you get the "TRANSMISSION FAULT" on the dash board...if so...get an OBDII computer to see which codes you get...and post them...
    we'll take it from there...

User Level 1
    Member No: 196263 rwmartin is an unknown quantity at this point rwmartin's Avatar

Yes | No
    i have a 98 xj8 all my lights dont, light up d is intermiediate when lit shifts good when not lit in limp mode when shif over to manual shift get transmission fault and goes into limp mode. Any clues?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 98.22.216.50

Registered Member
    Member No: 142938 anthony_autosports is an unknown quantity at this point anthony_autosports's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmartin View Post
    i have a 98 xj8 all my lights dont, light up d is intermiediate when lit shifts good when not lit in limp mode when shif over to manual shift get transmission fault and goes into limp mode. Any clues?
    Do you get the "TRANSMISSION FAULT" on the dash board...if so...get an OBDII computer to see which codes you get...and post them...
    we'll take it from there...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.188.220.120

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information