+ Reply to Thread
    Robert

Yes | No

Front End Alignments/Bad tire

I just picked up my 2005 last week and as soon as I pulled out of the dearship I noticed the steering was pulling to the left a very small amount on a level road. Also, the steering wheel was not level which is generally the case when a car needs a front end aligment. As I drove for a while the pull seemed to become less noticeable. Although puzzled a bit, I just figured the alignment was off. I also checked to see if there was equal pressure in both front tires and there was. When I took it to the shop they told me the front end alignment was okay but the steering wheel was off center and that the left front tire was causing the pull. To fix the problem they swapped it with one of the rear tires. I was a bit uncertain about this explaination but when I drove the car it drove perfectly straight and with a level steering wheel.
    What happens when I go back to have the tires rotated and they now have to put that bad tire back on the front. At that point the tire will not be fully warrantied.... I plan to address this concern with the dealer.
    Has anybody experienced this before?

Robert

Registered Member
    Member No: 118347 keith944t is an unknown quantity at this point keith944t's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Front End Alignments/Bad tire

Exactly the same, almost....
    When I first picked up my 20K '02, the steering wheel had a little shimmy, took it back solution as yours. Rotated tires around, shimmy gone. I go back for 30K chekup, they say tires look like their wearing oddly. They do an alignment and re-rotate tires, shimmy back and worse. Rotate tires back shimmy gone. Service manager tells me alignment sheet has gone off to main office, WTF?, They get me the sheet back two weeks later. The specs seem whacky to me. camber off by a full degree left to right, but the service manager says they are within spec. Car drives fine though. I just put snow tires on and have a bit more shimmy, but not as bad as before.

I think the Continentals do not have consistant build quality. My snow tires were only $56 each, so I expect a little less from them.

Registered Member
    Member No: 58884 gnomeface is an unknown quantity at this point gnomeface's Avatar

Yes | No

I put up with shimmy on a new set of tyres for 10,000 miles after 3 wheel balancing attempts by different dealers made no difference. Got rid of it completely by moving the front wheels to the rear of the car. I decided it was caused by poor quality tyres - the next set (Michelins, not Pirellis) were fine.

Real Tech

Yes | No

A radial tire pull is the most common cause for vehicle pull not alignment issues. This occurs with all makes and sizes of tires. Some tire manufacturers will warranty the tire for this and others do not. Sometimes if the tire is not a directional type you can dismount it and swap it inside for outside and eliminate the problem. The pull can sometimes go away by itself as the tire wears or it could become worse.

lyn

Yes | No

I have an 02 x-type for 2 years now. I bought a new set of 225/30r20 which are low profile tires in June of last year. So far I have replaced the two front tires 2 times. they are not wearing right but the rear tires are just fine. I live in Macon Ga and can not find anyone to do the front end alignment and rotation. I really need some help.

Registered Member
    Member No: 136953 execk2 is an unknown quantity at this point execk2's Avatar

Yes | No

You can't find a garage that has an alignment machine in Georgia? Is this the Georgia near Russia?Mike

Dave in Central PA

Yes | No

I've gotten my tires recently aligned at Firestone. They did a pretty good job I think, it's straightened out my ride since I hit some potholes recently. I acutally invested in the lifetime rotation for $140.00; they had a $30 discount so I went ahead and did that. The service manager says I can get my tires aligned whenever I want, I just had to call ahead and schedule it. It's a pretty good deal if you plan on keeping your car for longer than 2 alignments since it's $70 a pop every time you align them.

I can post my alignment results later, with the exact measurements they got. I just don't have them on me right now. It'd be nice to get your guys opinion on whether they set my tires up right.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information