+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 118980 freeheelin is an unknown quantity at this point freeheelin's Avatar

Yes | No

NE1s doors not closing properly these cold days?

Seems I have to drive half an hour ,with heat blasting before they catch closed.Yewd think BMW would have worked that out by now.

Registered Member
    Member No: 116890 Snowshark is an unknown quantity at this point Snowshark's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: NE1s doors not closing properly these cold days?

For the most part, I am not driving my 6er as I have a problem with the cold start valve (or the fuel line going to it) so don't run it when it is this cold. But I did the other day when it wasn't too bad as I needed to replace the insert in the heater control valve and the interior temp sensor. I have a terrible problem with the passenger door not closing in the cold. I drove it around - with heat finally! - and was able to close it later. Just one of those unique things I guess....

Registered Member
    Member No: 118980 freeheelin is an unknown quantity at this point freeheelin's Avatar

Yes | No

Hi Snow.Yeah...BMW is the ultimate driving machine but its glitches leave something to be desired.Ive had mine for a year now [98-528i-5 speed] and have replaced the rad and water pump and all related parts.
    As preventative maintenance though.
    Do you have a good independant mechanic in Edmonton?

Registered Member
    Member No: 116890 Snowshark is an unknown quantity at this point Snowshark's Avatar

Yes | No

I don't know any local mechanics but have spoken with another 6 owner in Edmonton and he has a guy that works on his car. I have only had the car for a little more than a month (1986 635 CSi auto). It is in pretty good shape so I hope to be able to do much of what it may need on my own. The exhaust system though.... yah well that will be a challenge. Will need help when I decide to do that. The PO replaced the steering pump, new battery, new MAF, new O2 sensor. Will need a new stereo unit as well. The car is from Japan and has a Sony stereo cassette but the FM band will only receive signals up to 90.0 on the FM band. I guess they must have different radio frequency rules in Japan. Result is I can't listen to too much except some AM. There is a 10 Pack CD changer in the trunk but it does not work. That's fine, I seem to be adding things to the "to do list" every time I go near the car. LOL.

fast1eddy

Yes | No

Only a problem if car has been washed.....

before it gets real cold. Even then it goes away after car warms up. I do almost all my own maintenace but i got differential seals done at Karmac here in Edmonton, pricing was ok. I drive a 93 320i and its a joy to work on.

Ernie Slubik

Yes | No

Another 6er

That's a common problem with the old 6-series, doors get to be hard to close in cold weather. I had my car redone at Frank's Autobody in Edmonton this past summer and I must say the problem seems better this winter.
    My son gave me his Alpine head unit and speakers...much improved over the old Blaupunkt that I had. Good luck with the stereo hunt.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Another 6er

Hi Ernie. Great to see you are driving yours in the winter. Do you have a block heater for it and if so when and where did you get it - while I'm at it...how much? Waited almost a year to get one from Bavaria for girlfriend's X5. How are you and your 6 enjoying the -40C windchill?

Robert

Registered Member
    Member No: 81972 eslubik is an unknown quantity at this point eslubik's Avatar

Yes | No

Hi Robert!

Well, I have a block heater, however at home I park in a semi-heated garage (it was -1 in there this morning). At work I must park outside in a parking lot that does not yet have plug-ins, so I have not yet used the block heater :( Wish I could!
    I had a local mechanic put one last year, I don't remember if he got it from the dealer or if he used a standard type unit.
    We are trying to find a slow drain in my car...it will not start very well on days like this on occasion, yet at other times it fires right up. We think it is because the light in the glove box occasionally stays on, depending on how the door to the glove box is closed.
    Other than that it does heat up rather nicely for an old car. It also has the LSD, so along with snow tires it drives quite well in the winter. Not as good as my Volvo XC, but OTHO both my daughter and I prefer the ride of the BMW. I would love to have a 5-series wagon, but an older one. Right now I hate spending all that money on brand new vehicles...that's just where I am at right now. I would not mind a 5-series AWD when they come out in a year or so. Dreaming a bit...
    We should get together someday with Stu in Edmonton and exchange 6er woes :)
    Ernie

Registered Member

Yes | No

6er woes!!

What 6er woes? Knock on wood, I haven't had any yet but have only had the car a short time. I have a potential woe in a fuel leak from the cold start valve or from the fuel hose connected to it. I don't run the car now unless its close to zero otherwise I might have a crispy 6er! Hope you find the battery drain soon, that could make for a very bad day as of course it will act up at the worst possible time. I have yet to see if I have an LSD or not. If I get a chance to see under the car this spring that is something I plan to check for. I spoke with Stu briefly before Xmas as was hoping he and I could grab a coffee but no luck yet. I like the idea of all of us meeting, perhaps when the snow is gone? Take care - Robert

Ernie Slubik

Yes | No

Oops, don't wanna jinx ya!

Best if I say nothing! I guess I got a little hosed by the PO of my car, but on the other hand I like everything to work and no leaks in my cars...
    Speaking of which, it would not start last night. No one else in the office had a problem with their vehicles. The mechanic has assured me there are no drains and I have a new alternator. I will go today and ask the guy if the culprit could be his battery he sold me last year...
    Ernie

Paul

Yes | No

This cold sucks!!

My car didn't even start in the -35 temps this morning. (I'm in Edmonton.) The doors were hard to shut as well. I'm afraid of shattering the windows by slamming them. The bimmer started this afternoon though, so maybe it's like a relay losing contact or something. (The battery's new and the alternator and starter are good so who knows...)

I checked the weather network though and there's warm weather on the horizon (above zero next week!).

Paul

Les T

Yes | No

Regarding your stereo, if you can remove it have a look and the back
    and there may be a small switch which you can switch over and you may
    be able to receive the other radio bands. Just a thought to save some
    cash.

Registered Member

Yes | No

From what I've read here your battery

drain problem could have as many causes as there are 6ers still on the road. The PO of my car had this issue and determined it was because the door was not closing properly and the interior light remained on. I guess it must be hard to see through the tint the windows have. His solution: turn the overhead light switch off. Simple but effective. Just thought I'd pass that on. Hope she starts tomorrow!!

Robert

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks Les and....

I never thought that might be a possibility. Since you have a Euro via Japan as well, can you tell me where I can find more info specifically about my car? Do I really have the 3HP 22 transmission in a 1986? The VIN decoder I found also says I have a cat - what horsepower would my car be making? Any info you could supply would be appreciated. TIA

Robert

my block heater!

Yes | No

Turns out that it was a faulty extension cord to

Ernie Slubik

Yes | No

Battery again....

Well, after a frustrating week of wondering if my car would start I finally got a new battery. My car had been in the shop a number of times since the fall due to no-start problems. I did get a new battery last year after the old one died, it was more than ten years old according to the date on the tag. In the fall I had dead battery symptoms but the tests supposedly kept showing the battery was OK. I replaced the alternator and had the system checked numerous times for drains with no success. Yesterday they checked the battery again and found an internal drain which they said was due to a connection of sorts between a couple of the plates. So, I get a new battery under full warranty. Don't know yet if it fixes the problem or if I have to pay for all the other shop time.
    Oh well, I am the one that bought the old car....
    Ernie

Jim Cash

Yes | No

THat is an early E39 - and they did not start putting the sheild around the latch inside the door till later.

You have moisture in that latch mechanism - and that causes it to not relatch - you can open but when closing it will not hold in the latched positon dues to the water freezing.

Need to get it dried out and then apply some water dispursant like wd40 to the entire latch up inside the door. Also install the shield (plastic cover) if it is not there.

Cheers
    Jim Cash

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanx Jim.I shall apply the WD-40.
    Tell me please what/how much/where to purchase and how to install the shield?

fast1eddy

Yes | No

Guess i spoke too soon. Rr door would not shut...

the last couple of days.Had to get the kids to use the Lr. Anyone have a solution to this problem?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information