+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 119650 jaypark28 is an unknown quantity at this point jaypark28's Avatar

Yes | No

Newbie Help me importing 635Csi

Hello,
    I found out about the great looking 635Csi while I was looking for a new car. Right now I am dying to get my hands on one of them. I am relocating pretty soon(mid March) from Montreal to Vancouver(no more snow!!!) so I am planning to sell my current car and get 635Csi. It seems that there are a lot more (and better) available in the US than in Canada. So I am planning to import one. So if anyone has had any experience importing 635 or other BMWs from the US, could you please share the experience? I would like to find out, how long it takes, how much it costs, which shipper you recommend etc. If I can find good one in canada that would be much better. So if anyone know great 6ers for sale in canada, please help and let me know. Any help or comment will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Andrew

Yes | No

Have a look at this tread from the 993 / 996 board

Registered Member
    Member No: 97990 matt.krause is an unknown quantity at this point matt.krause's Avatar

Yes | No

Considering selling my 635Csi

Jay,

I have a mint '87 635, which I am now considering selling (too many toys) and also some experience in importing from the US. Basically, there are no restrictions on any cars older than 15 years, regardless of where they come from. Usually I do the driving (not shipping) myself and have had not too many problems at the border. A broker could do the paperwork for about $150, if you ship the car. Drop me an e-mail if you want some more info, [email protected]

Registered Member
    Member No: 119650 jaypark28 is an unknown quantity at this point jaypark28's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Have a look at this tread from the 993 / 996 board

Thanks for the link. that really helped. Thanks

gunter

Yes | No

if you get it from Europe for example, no problem

i got mine from europe. as long as the car is over 15 years old. it will pass. as for me i was working overseas for 6 years so when i imported the car to canada as a returning citizen i did not pay one penny in tax. but as for you if you want to import one it will not be a problem but maybe you will pay a small tax fee based on value of car since you reside here in canada and did not move back.

Andrew

Yes | No

I'm interested in what you find out as I want to

buy a E28 M5 or E24 M6 and given the thin selection in Vancouver I'll more then likely go Stateside. It seems that all you need to do is send the title to Customs before you arrive (48 hours?) and then they will be ready to do the importation into Canada. I think we'd get hit with GST but no duty.

With the exchange rate that makes the whole procedure that much more attractive.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: I'm interested in what you find out as I want to

Check out
    this link . I think you do need to pay duty(6.2%) unless the car is manufactured in the US.

Registered Member
    Member No: 97990 matt.krause is an unknown quantity at this point matt.krause's Avatar

Yes | No

6.x% duty plus 7%GST

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 119913 canadianhunting is an unknown quantity at this point canadianhunting's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: I'm interested in what you find out as I want to

OK I live in alberta, so I can't just pop back and forth like my brothers from vancouver. The 48 hours wait is one big sore spot at the bourder crossing. I was looking to spend least amount time as possable dwon south.I'm looking to buy a Z3 in mid-feb, in the state of WA or OR
    Anyone got a good one for sale? I'm looking to spend $14,000us.

Andrew

Yes | No

You can forward the info to the border prior to

your arrival. Also if you search around there are brokerage companies who will handle the customs portion for a fee.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information