+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Alex

Yes | No

Amplifier installation

Can anyone advise on the installation of an amp? I want to install an amplifier into the audio system on my 98 UK spec 523. It is fitted with a BMW Business package, which has the familiar head unit with cassette player and boot-mounted CD changer. It doesn't have an amplifier located in the boot, and it doesn't look like that the car is pre-wired for an amp to be retro-fitted. Is there any way that I can fit an amp without butchering the wiring loom? What is the best route to go - a multi channel amp or seperate amp for the front and rear? Any help or assistance or advice would be welcome, as I'm beginning to think that this might be too much effort to take on at the current time.

Thanks for any help with this!

Steve (UK)

Yes | No

Re: Amplifier installation

I have installed an amp in my car but only to run the 15in sub I have, sounds as if you want to amp up your front and rear speakers. I have seen a Sony amp that fits behind the head unit and boosts each channel by 25w rms; plugs straight in with a special loom so requires no wiring on your part. This installation was covered by TotalBMW Mag and you should be able to download a pdf of the article from their site link below: -

www.totalbmwmag.co.uk - I am planning this upgrade soon.

Amp connection (my sub amp):
    Basically I removed the rear seat and picked up on the rear speaker cables and ran a feed off into the boot. I then used an RCA converter to go from speaker level High input to RCA low input into my amp. Switching (remote) wire I ran from my aerial amplifiers in the rear pillars as these switch on with the radio. Very simple to wire up the power what with the battery being located in the boot.

Some people have said that get ting the signal feed from the head units rear speaker outputs (effectively running 6 channels) will put to much strain on the unit and cause it to blow up!! I have had my amp in for over 6months and had no problems whatsoever and I really crank it up.

If you are local to me you are more than welcome to look at my car if you wish to see exactly how I have done it. I wanted a factory look and have achieved this with the ability to revert back to standard without a problem or leaving obvious signs.

Steve
    09/97 528iA SE 5sp Steptronic
    Comos Black with Sand Leather Interior
    Full Alpina Bodystyling
    Full Alpina Suspension
    18" Alpina Alloys w/Conti Sportcontact 2s
    ACS Mirrors
    Shadowline Trim
    Clears all round
    RD Strut Brace
    RevHigh CAI
    M5 Grills
    DDE Angel Eyes

Alex

Yes | No

Thanks for this - very useful. I can't see the link for the pdf on TotalBMW - can you post it again?

Thanks

Steve (UK)

Yes | No

http://www.totalbmwmag.co.uk/HandsOn/TechAug03.pdf

You want pages 3 & 4 and the place to buy the amp & special loom is www.connects2.co.uk

Hope this helps

Steve
    09/97 528iA SE 5sp Steptronic
    Comos Black with Sand Leather Interior
    Full Alpina Bodystyling
    Full Alpina Suspension
    18" Alpina Alloys w/Conti Sportcontact 2s
    ACS Mirrors
    Shadowline Trim
    Clears all round
    RD Strut Brace
    RevHigh CAI
    M5 Grills
    DDE Angel Eyes

Alex

Yes | No

Thanks - appreciate the help

Registered Member
    Member No: 139409 Gibblet is an unknown quantity at this point Gibblet's Avatar

Yes | No

Hi Steve, sorry for butting in half way through.
    It sounds like I have the same system as Alex but I am only interested in installing an amp for a sub. You mentioned connecting up to the rear speakers but could you please tell me exactly what supplies you used for amp inputs (l/h input from ...., r/h input from .... etc). I know this sounds basic but I don't want to blow anything and most info on the web just talks about RCA connections. Many thanks.
    Tim.

Jordan Hicks

Yes | No

thanks

th

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information