+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Tjaard

Yes | No

130i available from September in Germany ...

Registered Member
    Member No: 104229 BritishGreen is an unknown quantity at this point BritishGreen's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 130i available from September in Germany ...

From MWerks ...

BMW Great Britain is pleased to announce the introduction of the BMW 130i – a car powered by the world’s lightest six-cylinder petrol engine. First seen on the BMW 630i and the BMW 330i, the new car boasts 258bhp and 300Nm of torque to deliver class leading performance figures.

The aluminum and magnesium alloy 3.0-liter straight-six gasoline engine powers the BMW 130i from zero to 62mph in 6.2 seconds and on to a top speed of 155mph. These figures better rivals such as the Alfa Romeo 147 GTA, Audi A3 3.2 V6 Sport Quattro Sportback and the Mercedes C320 SE Sports Coupé. Such high levels of performance aligned with the near perfect 50:50 weight distribution have also resulted in the BMW 130i lapping the challenging Northern Loop of the Nürburgring in an impressive 8 minutes 35 seconds. All this and the car still posts a respectable fuel consumption figure on the combined cycle of 31.4mpg (imp)...

JZ 2005 X3 2.5

Yes | No

want it now!

all-new e90 330i why would anyone choose the small
    Member No: all-new e90 330i why would anyone choose the small's Avatar

Yes | No

Seeing the 130i is only a tenth quicker than the

E90 330i offers virtually identical performance and more importantly,more interior and trunk space and all-important refinement.
    So why would anyone choose the cramped 1er which is an older design? Besides,a 2-dr 3er will probalby be on sale earlier than 2-dr 1er!

JZ 2005 X3 2.5

Yes | No

bet you it will be almost 1/2 price of 330i, and

about 500 pounds lighter. its 440 pounds lighter right now without the r6 in the 1 series.

JZ 2005 X3 2.5

Yes | No

The New BMW 130i

Text & photos courtesy BMW AG
    edited 02-09-2005

World’s lightest six-cylinder petrol engine powers the One
    BMW Great Britain is pleased to announce the introduction of the BMW 130i – a car powered by the world’s lightest six-cylinder petrol engine. First seen on the BMW 630i and the BMW 330i, the new car boasts 258bhp and 300Nm of torque to deliver class leading performance figures.

The aluminium and magnesium alloy 3.0-litre straight-six petrol engine powers the BMW 130i from zero to 62mph in 6.2 seconds and on to a top speed of 155mph. These figures better rivals such as the Alfa Romeo 147 GTA, Audi A3 3.2 V6 Sport Quattro Sportback and the Mercedes C320 SE Sports Coupé. Such high levels of performance aligned with the near perfect 50:50 weight distribution have also resulted in the BMW 130i lapping the challenging Northern Loop of the Nürburgring in an impressive 8 minutes 35 seconds. All this and the car still posts a respectable fuel consumption figure on the combined cycle of 31.4mpg.

Jim O’Donnell, Managing Director of BMW (GB) Ltd, said: "The 1 Series has proved a real hit in a market where a rear-wheel-drive car is unique and the arrival of the 130i promises to shake things up further. Some have already referred to the model as a baby ‘M’ car – something that is not surprising given it can lap the Nürburgring in a time that wouldn’t disgrace an M3."

The commendable figures are due in part to the VANOS and VALVETRONIC valve opening and valve lift control mechanisms that ensure optimum combustion and engine breathing at all times. An electrically driven water pump also cuts down on internal engine friction and improves efficiency. Power is transmitted to the road via a standard six-speed manual gearbox feeding power to the rear wheels.

Several key styling features mark the BMW 130i out from the four-cylinder-powered models already on sale. The new car receives chrome kidney grille slats, features 17-inch alloy wheels and displays large twin chrome exhaust pipes at the rear. These are more than a styling enhancement though, as the last section of the exhaust system also plays an important role in the performance of the car thanks to a valve in the rear section opening and closing depending on throttle input. At rest and slower speeds the valve is closed for better emissions, while at higher speeds it is opened fully for improved engine breathing and a more satisfying aural note.

Standard interior trim for the 130i includes Sports seats, leather steering wheel, BMW Business radio with single CD player and six airbags. Customers will also be able to specify BMW’s innovative and award-winning Active Steering system that ensures the optimum steering ratio at any speed.

An unveiling at the Geneva Motor Show in March heralds the first public appearance of the 130i before it goes on sale in

a same motor,and weights 130 lb more!!
    Member No: a same motor,and weights 130 lb more!!'s Avatar

Yes | No

Actually,e90 3er costs just 10% more than 1er with

The price and performance difference between 1er and 3er is much smaller than their diff in space efficiency and refinement.
    I don't know when the v8 M3/M4 will be on sale,but the Series 2 M1 comes in '08 the earliest! And even then it may not be available as folding-top-convertible or saloon.

JZ 2005 X3 2.5

Yes | No

looks like i am right!

6.1 seconds, 25,000 dollars versus a $40,000 330i.

vertigo

Yes | No

Re: Seeing the 130i is only a tenth quicker than the

(1) Cost
    (2) Utility. If you drop the rear seats (I assume they fold down??)
    I would guess you'd get more storage space.

Registered Member
    Member No: 6906 larsf is an unknown quantity at this point larsf's Avatar

Yes | No

The 330 is 6.4 seconds, plus it is 35K in the USA

I don't think the 130 is going to be 32K, or even over 30K. Plus it does get 1 mpg better than the 330. Why pay more for a bigger car that you don't need?

Of course this is coming from an 02 owner.

LarsLars Floden
    74tii(detii'd) work in progress
    <a href="http://www.lovingeveryminuteofit.com/bmw2002/">Loving Every Minute Of It</a>

Can't wait THAT long!
    Member No: Can't wait THAT long!'s Avatar

Yes | No

2-door 1er not available until mid-2007 :(

I'm very surprised the 1er and 3er are priced so close! Even the weight and performance are virtually identical!
    So when 2er comes in '07 and if it is supposed to cost more than 1er,perhaps it ends up costing even more than 3er??

sale,unlike the cramped 1er that u cant get in US
    Member No: sale,unlike the cramped 1er that u cant get in US's Avatar

Yes | No

Actually 330i is just 5.6 seconds and already on

330 is actually faster than the top einsers,plus has extra refinement and a more modern styling if not better looks. But its styling will grow on us,u know..
    And above all,still no definite decision to sell 1er sports-hatch in US!

smedin330ci

Yes | No

Don't believe it. BMW also lists the 3.0 Z4 as being only a tick faster to 60 than the E46 330i, but in reality, C & D achieved a 0-60 in 5.3 in the Z4 versus 5.9 in the 330i.

Note that both times are at least .5 sec quicker for each car than the "official" factory figures.

I'm predicting a 0-60 of 5.3 seconds for the 130i, 5.7 for the new 330i from the C & D test drivers.

Just a hunch.

'08 Series 2 M1

Yes | No

A recent test of euro-spec E90 BMW 330i revealed it was actually a full 100 lb _LIGHTER_ than a similarly equipped E46, and just a 80 lb heavier than the much slower 4-cyl BMW 120d! Makes u wonder if the 130i is going be any lighter than the 330i!
    The 330i was also actually faster than the 130i in the 0-60 sprint!

eMkay

Yes | No

Because it handles better, looks better...

and will be cheaper if they sell it here.

mechanical lsd

Yes | No

The all-new Benz C350 Sportscoupe has 268 hp ...

It will be interesting to see 147, A3 S'back, M-B C350SC and Clio V-6 to slug it out!

manages to outperform all of the smaller engined
    Member No: manages to outperform all of the smaller engined's Avatar

Yes | No

The rumoured AMG version has 100hp more and still

IT Could be the baddest-[Oops!] hatch yet that's not available to US.

Registered Member
    Member No: 71546 mattwithaplan is an unknown quantity at this point mattwithaplan's Avatar

Yes | No

what an awful looking car, reminds me of the

...Matrix made by the popular japanese auto-maker.
    It is obvious that the BMW 1-series is meant to appeal to the younger generation of people who don't yet have taste in styling.

Registered Member
    Member No: 27503 jeroen57 is an unknown quantity at this point jeroen57's Avatar

Yes | No

Nice E30!!!

<B>'97 320iC</B>

S'charged Glory

Yes | No

The 130i undercuts A3 2.0 TFSI by over 110 lbs !!

While certainly no lwt, the all new BMW 130i still weights less than the turbocharged Audi A3 S'backs, let alone the current top A3 3.2l V-6 DSG model.
    Actually, the 6-cyl 1er isn't significantly heavier than the turbo'd 4-cyl Golf GTi!
    So when the new R36 Golf finally appears, it's going to need every bit of its 276 hp just to stay competitive..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information