+ Reply to Thread
    glenncof

Yes | No

fluid for 911's 915 tranny - SWEPCO 201

1985 Porsche 911 - 157K miles

After having my 915 transmission repaired three times; 1st syncho 63K miles, clutch & blown 2nd (my fault) at 82K, and blown 1st & 2nd (?) at 120K, I have one word:

SWEPCO 201

http://www.paragon-products.com/Sea....x=9&Search.y=9 ($38)

Original was probably factory fluid since I got the car from Porsche direct with 17K (first owner). My mechanic replaced the fluid at 53K miles.

My mechanic was putting in REDLINE 75/90 synthetic. I read the brass synchro's don't like slippery synth. The bad news...shifting was really scary. I think it caused or contributed to my problems.

(I also read break-in should be done with petro before using synth unless item was machined for it like Corvette. This applies to engines, differentials, and I assume tranny.)

Racers apperantly like this stuff. At first it made little difference but now in over 1000 miles with the 201 and it's CONFIDENCE INSPIRING. (I don't even need to think about shifting !)
    ---
    For anything on oils also see http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
    ---

Highlights of Renewing Fluid (recommended every 30K miles):

Lift driver side with jack. I used 4x4 block under rear tire. Careful with jack stands, they can rock (I have had occasion to need hammer to break plugs loose on other vehicles). Clear plug areas with Gunk and wirebrush.

Youíll need 17mm drain plug removal tool (perhaps use Sears 17mm allen wrench if not too tight). In a bind, use a 17mm nut with 17mm socket. See http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog..._pg5.htm#item16

Two plugs; drain on bottom lowest part and fill in center on driver side. Take out the FILL plug first, and the DRAIN plug last. Should be done while tranny is warm.

Note metal filings on magnetic drain plug upon removing. Yes, the big chunk(s) are your gears.

Replace drain plug.

Capacity is 3.17 quarters and use 1 gallon hand pump on Swepco 201 gallon(donít try quart pump). After refilling, level the car and let excess drain out filler hole. Replace filler plug.

conquest

Yes | No

Re: fluid for 911's 915 tranny - SWEPCO 201

Before you down Redline synthetic, make sure you're suing the right Redline synthetic.

Redline has at least two similar-appearing synthetic alternatives. If you call Redline's tech line, they will advise that the 915 tranny needs friction modifiers that make typical synthetics LESS slippery, allowing the syncros to function properly. What you need for a 915 tranny is the 75W90NS ... the NS actually stands for NON-Slippery.

And if you get the right stuff, it's absolutely spectacular in comparison to Swepco 201. In my experience, Redline 75W90NS exhibits that same shifting characteristics as Swepco 201 at room temperature, but unlike Swepco 201 the Redline 75W90NS maintains a relatively constant viscosity as temperature changes. What you will find when using Swepco (and presumably any other dinosaur oils) is that your 915 will get hard to shift when it gets either quite hot or quite cold. When I tracked my SC, I found that the Swepco-filled 915 got particularly hard to shift toward the end of a session so I needed to find something better (hence the Redline). The Redline also works very well in winter, which I've proven with the occasional drive when it's -30.

Brett

Yes | No

Conquest....thank you for your input about transmission oil! Do you happen to know of a good/temporary fix for a leaking transmission? I do need to rebuild/have my 915 rebuilt...but in the meantime...

Thanks, Brett

Registered Member
    Member No: 115389 79sc is an unknown quantity at this point 79sc's Avatar

Yes | No

Conquest, I think I will take your word and give the Redline 75W90NS a try. How much does the porsche transmission take? How many bottles do I need to buy ? Where can I find this product without having to order it ?

Please Let Me Know

Thanks,

Conquest

Yes | No

A 915 will hold a slightly better than 3 litres if assembled dry. If you are changing the oil, there is usally a bit clinging to crevaces inside and 3 litres will do the trick.

I get my Redline from a local speed shop.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information