+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 35229 tem is an unknown quantity at this point tem's Avatar

Yes | No

Water Pump or Heater Core - Which SMELLS

How can I tell which one is leaking and is giving off the Antifreeze Smell. No visable signs.

Any Comments would be helpful

1995 740i 52,000 miles Stock

Registered Member
    Member No: 49278 chipm is an unknown quantity at this point chipm's Avatar

Yes | No

Pressure test on a cold engine.

You'll need a special adapter for the BMW radiator, so you should take it to a european shop. When you pressurize the cooling system, water will leak out wherever it can.

Registered Member
    Member No: 75805 Faisal_in_Laurel is an unknown quantity at this point Faisal_in_Laurel's Avatar

Yes | No

Smell Inside or outside the car?

Registered Member
    Member No: 117282 Srayman is an unknown quantity at this point Srayman's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Water Pump or Heater Core - Which SMELLS

Probably the $0.50 O-ring that takes a day to replace :-) What car/year do you have? If you can smell it in the cabin then the leak is in the cabin. And to find the actual leak after that will require a lot of labor just to expose the plumbing/heater core. If you have a week to spare you could conceivably take the dash apart find the leak order the replacement from BMW and have it back in. The other option would require two weekends one to locate the leak the next to fix it after you order parts. 82 528e X 2 (US) one died in a accident the other still going with 350k miles
    87 325eS (US) died saving my life someone tried to hit me head on
    88 528e (US) saved my sisters life but gave its own (head on collison at 120 mph what an idiot, she was doing 55 in the other direction)
    89 528i (US)
    91 325iC (US) saved my life but gave its own (T bone to drivers door at 45 mph)
    94 325iC (US)
    98 750iL (US)
    Now you know why I dirve BMW's it is not about the money it is not about the glamor they save lifes and they drive well.

Registered Member
    Member No: 79217 Pogophil is an unknown quantity at this point Pogophil's Avatar

Yes | No

Same problem -- my (temporary) fix

I have the same problem in my E38. It got progressively worse, to the point my windows were completely fogged up and the coolant smell was unbearable.

I used two bottles of NAPA radiator stop leak (tried just one, it didn't work well enough) and the problem is 80% fixed for now. It's a band-aid fix, but it's a $5 fix instead of a $1,000+ fix. The NAPA stop leak I used contains no metal, so it won't clog up your cooling system.

1996 BMW 740iL
    1992 Dodge Stealth R/T TT (modified to 475 hp!)
    1996 Nissan Pathfinder

Registered Member
    Member No: 117282 Srayman is an unknown quantity at this point Srayman's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Same problem -- my (temporary) fix

I would never add stop leak to my car. Now that you have be wear of the failure of your aux water pump and your normal water pump. While it may not contain metal, I'm sure that it contains some type of particulate mater that will get into the seals of both pumps which will cause premature failure. Also your comment that it won't block the passages in the engine b/c it does not have metal, then how did it block the hole in your heating system? (I'm not trying to attack you, but show the error in your thinking). I hate to say this but when you do save the grand to fix the heater issue buy a water pump and an aux water pump at the same time, or at-least begin saving for them. 82 528e X 2 (US) one died in a accident the other still going with 350k miles
    87 325eS (US) died saving my life someone tried to hit me head on
    88 528e (US) saved my sisters life but gave its own (head on collison at 120 mph what an idiot, she was doing 55 in the other direction)
    89 528i (US)
    91 325iC (US) saved my life but gave its own (T bone to drivers door at 45 mph)
    94 325iC (US)
    98 750iL (US)
    Now you know why I dirve BMW's it is not about the money it is not about the glamor they save lifes and they drive well.

Registered Member
    Member No: 78434 silber98 is an unknown quantity at this point silber98's Avatar

Yes | No

I had the same thing with no heat on passengers

side. If heater core your windows will fog up I have been told.My problem was fixed by replacing $150 heater valve/Aux water pump it came together as a replacement under 1 part#.My Arctic Silver 1998 740IL with Xenon PDC NAV Comfort & Convenient package TV & rear side airbags

Registered Member
    Member No: 51290 thesteve is an unknown quantity at this point thesteve's Avatar

Yes | No

In my experience, with my sensitive nose...

I smelled coolant from the inside when I had 1. a leaky heater hose and 2. leaky heater control valve. In other words, almost any external leak could cause you to smell something inside, since the air vents suck air in near that area where things leak.
    One time, after my car had sat a while, I even had a foggy windshield. This may have been from rain water collecting somewhere or...who knows, -I only mention it because soon thereafter I replaced a leaky heater hose and have not had a recurrence of any smells or fogging since. ie, heater core ok.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information