+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 118242 robinson.de is an unknown quantity at this point robinson.de's Avatar

Yes | No

Day Time Running Lights Confusion

I just found out from a BMW dealer that they can "metricize" my made in US 98 Z3 2.8 by reprogramming it. I have been previously told that I will need to replace a module with a new one ($200). Can anyone tell me which way to go? Has anyone done this to a Z3 before?Dave

Icabob

Yes | No

Try the Z3 board,they should be able to help...

Or see if "knows",knows...lol.He works for bavaria,and seems to be switched on about stuff regarding bimmers.There's a free plug for ya "knows"...lol.

Registered Member
    Member No: 118242 robinson.de is an unknown quantity at this point robinson.de's Avatar

Yes | No

Hey "Knows", can you help?

knows

Yes | No

Re: Hey

Because the instrument cluster already has both KM and MPH on it, only the instrument cluster coding plug needs to be replaced and then the instrument cluster can be recoded. The current odometer reading in miles will be automatically converted to the equivalent amount in KM's. I believe this can only be done at a BMW Dealership, because of the equipment required. You could also purchase a "Canadian" instrument cluster and have it installed if you did not want the dual speed scale. However if you buy used it MUST have lower KM, than your car currently has.

Shayne

Yes | No

Re: Day Time Running Lights Confusion

On most OBD II cars they can hook the into the diagnosics port and change parameters such as enable DRL's... they are not allowed to disable this feature in Canada. They can also remove such 'benefits' as the automatic door locking 'feature'.

Shayne
    525iTA

Registered Member

Yes | No

But how about DRL's

Can they reprogram it so that the DRL's are activated? Or do I need to buy a DRL Module and replace the old high beem module?

knows

Yes | No

Re: But how about DRL's

The Z3 is based on E36 technology and can not be just reprogramed. Simply replacing the relay also does not work. We have in the past wired in a Daytime running light relay, which would then have the 'highbeams' on at part power.

robinson.de

Yes | No

Now you have me really confused. Are you sure that when i just replace the relay, it will not do the trick? LeatherZ will sell me the relay with installation instructions and says that's all there is to it. The way this works, is that it has the high beams on at 80% power. Is there anything more required?

knows

Yes | No

I do not know anything about the 'kit' they sell. However if it comes with 'installation instructions', there is proably more to it than just plugging in a new relay. Can the car be converted to have daytime running lights - the answer is yes, is there more than one way - proably.

Registered Member
    Member No: 114606 droz3 is an unknown quantity at this point droz3's Avatar

Yes | No

I installed the LeatherZ DRL module 6 months ago. It works.
    Installation instruction are needed because you need to remove the knee bolster trim and the knee bolster in order to replace the "non DRL module" (standard US module) with the DRL module.
    Simple as pie : pull The old one out and plug the new one in.
    Instructions are available on this link : http://www.leatherz.com/instructions/drl.pdf
    Maybe on other BMW model, the DRL function can be activated by reprogramming the car computer but this is not the case with a Z3.
    If you ever get your Canadian dealership to activate the DRL by only using programmation then please tell us, after the fact, because it will mean that lots of us have been screwed and I don't believe it is the case.
    So far everyone had to use the DRL module.
    My Z3 specifications :
    Z3 2001 3.0L roadster with Stong-Strut front+rear+body+aero duct/Michelin PS2/HardTop/K&N air filter/Jim Conforti Shark/PIA low+high+fog/LeatherZ Mark1 armrest/front spoiler protector/trunk organizer

Registered Member

Yes | No

That's What I Thought

Thanks droz3. That confirms everything that I thought. In fact I just bought the module over ebay from "genuinebmwparts" thanks to a tip from the Z3 Message Board. Hopefully, I will be installing it in a few weeks. Dave ... waiting patiently in NS ... I hate snow!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information