+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 102271 new6tuner is an unknown quantity at this point new6tuner's Avatar

Yes | No

Does anyone use Snap-on, Modis or Solus?

I was wanting some feedback if you use one of these machines. thanks john

Jim - Personal Automotive Services
    Member No: Jim - Personal Automotive Services's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Does anyone use Snap-on, Modis or Solus?

I have a Solus. Wanna buy it??
    It's slow to boot, it forgets the car I last loaded and doesn't promise to remember any beyond that. Limited PIDs and limited bi-directional communication, especially with imports. The Snap-On rep tells me when I buy the update, it should fix some of these concerns and my counter was that for $3500, it should at least do what it says in the manual.
    Although it says it remembers the settings for metric / SAE preferences it doesn't.
    It goes through batteries like a baby goes through diapers and you can't just plug it in and recharge them.
    If someone would give me close to what I paid for it a few months ago, I could go buy an EASE system. The only drawback I see to that one is that if you drop it, once may be all you get (it's laptop based)
    I'd recommend looking at it and maybe a Mac Mentor or it's cousin, the OTC unit it's a replica of.
    I'm going after the EASE. www.obd2.com

Jim

mark takacs

Yes | No

the modis is a nice consolidated unit but the thumb button is terrible
    when told to snap on REP RICK SMITH he told me to go buy aux key pad not the answer i wanted they need to change or up date this problem this is my second unit since we bought it 8 months ago

Dean Champion

Yes | No

I have a modis and I have to tell you it is a piece of crap, I spent 8000.00 dollars for what i was told would be cheaper then the old brick to update, it's almost double, plus if you miss an update you have to buy both. It is currently on it's way back to Snap on for it's third repair in a year, I have had nothing but trouble with it and am not happy, I used the brick for over ten years and never had one problem with it at all. should have kept the brick and bought a vantage. Dean E. Champion CMC Auto Sales Lockport NY

Brad Higgins

Yes | No

yes i use this scanner. I have had both OTC scanners and an older snap On brick and I love this new scanner. I do alot of ABS work and this tool activates abs pumps to bleed them after a repair.

Mike

Yes | No

I just purchased a solus, Another tech at the shop bought one about 7 months ago, and ive used it serverl times. i perfer to use it over the OTC. (which IMO is the slowest dam scanner i have ever used.)I honestly love it. The trouble shooter on all snap on products is awesome, this is one of the main reasons i bought the solus. Aside from the fact it can do so much. Alot of the problems mentioned by the above poster, are also said to be corrected with the new update which is due out sometime in the next 2 weeks.

Jim Driggins

Yes | No

I've used the solus and think it is inferior to the MT-2500. The body is cheap along with the buttons, it takes for ever to boot and the trouble shooting menu is unaccepable to say the least. Don't even think about dropping it on the ground. $3500 worth of junk!

james

Yes | No

i have a modis, a brick, and a Genisys, and some cheap innova products, and to tell you the truth, the innova ones work the best, for way less than 1/10 the price of a modis.
    in my opinion, the biggest mistake i ever made was letting my snap-on dealer talk me into the modis, after a few updates/and actual training, and also video training, i can honestly say this thing is the most overpriced pile of horse manure on the market.
    they boast of nothing more than being a good lab scope, and even that is a pathetic attempt !
    for the money a genisys is better for your money, more versatile, a bit slow but what the heck it actually will pull up mode 6 without a scientific calculator!

josh

Yes | No

modis is junk? learn to use it captain ignorant...

Jason

Yes | No

We are a professional automotive shop. 30+ years. I AM NOT a big snanpon guy myself. The MT2500 was a piece of crap. But we didn't have the money to go with a full blown Tech-2, so we settled for the Modis. I have to say it was worth the money. The screen is easy to read, though it does have a bad glare problem in the sun. The speed is quick. I keep a 2 gig JumpDrive plugged into the Modis and download movies directly to it (and Pictures of the trouble codes) and the customers get a copy. I am not disappointed in the machine. But you have to have the 8.4 version or you are missing out on alot of by directional functions.

Only Con is that you cant program any modules with it.

Jason

Yes | No

We are a professional automotive shop. 30+ years. I AM NOT a big snanpon guy myself. The MT2500 was a piece of crap. But we didn't have the money to go with a full blown Tech-2, so we settled for the Modis. I have to say it was worth the money. The screen is easy to read, though it does have a bad glare problem in the sun. The speed is quick. I keep a 2 gig JumpDrive plugged into the Modis and download movies directly to it (and Pictures of the trouble codes) and the customers get a copy. I am not disappointed in the machine. But you have to have the 8.4 version or you are missing out on alot of by directional functions.

Only Con is that you cant program any modules with it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information