+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

hctan

Yes | No

Looking for a good BMW body shop

Hi,
    I am looking for help finding a reliable and not expensive body shop in the Berkeley and Oakland area.
    I live in Southern Cal and my daughter, who is in UC Berkeley, just got into a car accident with her 2001 BMW 330i.
    The shop where the car was towed to gave me an estimate of $15K. Can anyone give me a suggestion where to take it to?
    The guy who hit her is at fault (ran a red light) but he does not have insurance. We only have uninsured motorist and Geico will only pay $3,500 max unless it is totaled. Looks like I might have to come up with the rest of the money myself. That is why I am looking for some one good but not too expensive.
    Thanks in advance.
    hctan

Registered Member
    Member No: 95952 blakjak20 is an unknown quantity at this point blakjak20's Avatar

Yes | No

here's one, but anyone else have suggestions?

i just got some work done on my baby, granted she's a grandma compared to your daughter's car but you might want to talk to bob at German Auto Salvage (a VERY knowledgable bimmer man and cal graduate)
    anyway he should know the good stuff on local body shops etc.
    i don't know how much you can actually save, but yah
    there are too many damn uninsured motorists in berkeley, i fear for my baby
    their number is 510-525-6000
    it's a start, this place is on fourth street off of gilman
    good luck! post a follow-up
    it seems like that area (albany/berkeley) has a lot of body shops
    i guess that's the place to be!

-ian

88 528e Auto 148k and Still Climbing
    Finished Projects: Pioneer DEH-P860MP, 2 Sets MB Quart Premium Components w/ X-Overs, Directed 500W 4-Channel Amp pushing all speakers.

hctan

Yes | No

Thanks for the info, here is my update

Thanks for your input Ian. I called Bob at German Auto Salvage and he referred me to Panel Craft on San Pablo in Berkeley. The car was towed to Hustead's Collision Center on Durant in Berkeley after the accident and they gave me the rough quote of $15K. I asked them for a place to get a second opinion and they referred me to Brooks Motor Cars in Oakland. However, since they are closed for the long weekend, I had the car towed to Premier Auto Body on San Pablo in Berkeley. Their rough estimate just came in at $13K. I am inclined to get a third opinion before deciding who to settle on. I went on the UC Berkeley Parent's Board and there is one reference on Primier, three references on Uptown Body & Fender in Berkeley. Premier was willing to offer free towing to their facility and stay on Saturday to get a second estimate that is why I went there.
    Anyone has any experience or comments on the above mentioned shops please advise.
    Thanks again, hctan

Registered Member
    Member No: 121485 hctan is an unknown quantity at this point hctan's Avatar

Yes | No

Some pictures of the wrecked car

Here are some pictures of the wrecked car taken at the scene that night by my daughter. It is a 2001 330i with autometic and premium package. I think she was lucky to have the airbags protecting her and her passenger friend so they were not injured.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Some pictures of the wrecked car -- second try

Sorry the pictures were not posted successfully the first time. Here is a second try. Hope it works this time.

D323i

Yes | No

BMWs performed they way they were designed!

Looking at the pictures, the crumple zones and the front air bags performed as expected. I think we're pretty lucky to own these cars, which is both fun and safe to drive. Hope your daughter was ok.

D323i

Yes | No

Another choice?

How about Wetherford BMW in Oakland? Their dealer is located in Berkeley but their body shop is located in Oakland. They did a pretty good job on my '99 323i after a hit and run accident.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Further update on the accident, any suggestions?

I went up to Berkeley last weekend from Southern Cal and sold the car to the body shop for $5,000 since it was going to cost at
    least $15,000 to repair and the frame was bent too
    much to be considered safe in my opinion to be driven again by my daughter.
    I also got the $3,500 check from Geico.
    The guy who hit my daughter still refuse to pay so I am talking to my lawyer in preparation to take him to court.
    Any suggestions on my next step?
    The guy is a Berkeley student too and he says his parents refuse to help him.

Registered Member
    Member No: 95952 blakjak20 is an unknown quantity at this point blakjak20's Avatar

Yes | No

who cares if he's a student? i'm a student too

but i'm not stupid enough to roll around the streets of a city without insurance!
    esp. a city like berkeley! there are too many psychos out on the streets in my opinion... (drivers as well as pedestrians)
    i almost got run over by some cars pulling 45 on local/residential streets (dwight ave.)
    anyway, if you can't wing the insurance payments why drive?
    i suggest you pursue him, even if his parents won't help
    when my insurance was going through the works i wasn't driving my car
    no insurance, no drivey! too bad not all people think like this... right?
    it is expensive, but owning a car is in general
    what kind of car was he driving? sad to hear about your daughter's bimmer and it's good to hear she's ok
    keep the updates coming! hope you get what you deserve out of this

-ian

88 528e Auto 148k and Still Climbing
    Finished Projects: Pioneer DEH-P860MP, 2 Sets MB Quart Premium Components w/ X-Overs, Directed 500W 4-Channel Amp pushing all speakers.

Registered Member
    Member No: 110244 ryanSFcabrio is an unknown quantity at this point ryanSFcabrio's Avatar

Yes | No

another great suggestion ...

bob motter bodyshop on shattuck in berkeley ... taken in two e30's i've had ... plus a friend's e46 ... fast, honest, courteous, and dropdead gorgeous bodywork ... give 'em a whirl ... head mechanic's name is mike ... tell him j.r. from sf turned you on to him ... remind him that i'm the one with the alpine white e30 with the white interior ...

1992 325ic m technic
    (pics at baye30.net under the member name "ryan")

Registered Member
    Member No: 25422 larrychew is an unknown quantity at this point larrychew's Avatar

Yes | No

Why $3500 limit? Geico is Warren Buffet's company!

I'm curious as to why there's a $3500 limit. Is that in the policy? Geico is a Berkshire Hathaway company.

Usually they have to restore the car to the previous condition.

Bee Line in San Jose is one of the best BMW body shops in the Bay Area worth the extra distance.

hctan

Yes | No

Re: Why $3500 limit? Geico is Warren Buffet's company!

It is Geico's policy that they will only cover up to $3,500 in damages if you only have uninsured motorist but without the collision coverage. I did not purchase the collision coverage because it would have tripled my daughter's premium.
    In any case, I have sold the wreck to the body shop and purchased another vehicle for my daughter.
    I am also sueing the person who ran the red light and hit my daughter. There is no way I will let him get away with this.
    Any suggestions?

Ian

Yes | No

good call!

take that guy alllllll the way, some people have to learn things the hard way!
    what did you decide to get her as a replacement?
    is she a bit jittery getting behind the wheel after that incident?
    hope all is well.

-ian

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information