+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 105159 liuk3 is an unknown quantity at this point liuk3's Avatar

Yes | No

Which set-up better for hpdes?

I have an E39 530 w/ sport package that is my daily driver and used for hpdes despite it's shortcoming as a track vehicle. I just came into possesion of 18" style 65 M wheels. Which would be better for the schools:
    1) 17" style 42 stock sport wheels running 235/45s all around or;
    2) 18" style 65 M wheels running staggered 245/40 front and 265/35 rear?

The 18" wheels are heavier. Staggered set-up would increase understeer. But, tires are thicker, so would contact patch be better? On the other hand, the 17" wheels are lighter and same width all around. Which would be a better set-up for the track or faster on the track?

Registered Member
    Member No: 23941 ephillips is an unknown quantity at this point ephillips's Avatar

Yes | No

as between those options ...

and not knowing anything else, I'd definitely pick the lower profile, wider 18s. I've never run them, but I think that 235/45s would be too little tire for a 530 on the track. I think they'd be squirrelly and want to roll over with that relatively high profile. Some more thoughts:

Forget about weight. You're not racing for money, and once you're up to speed, the effect of any weight difference between the 17s and 18s will be marginal.

Think about cost. How many events are you running? Which wheels do you use for the street? If you use the 18s on the street and the track, and you plan on doing several events each season, you'll be buying tires pretty often. 17s are easier on the wallet, but it sounds like you have 17x8s. That's too narrow for a 255 tire, which is the size I think you'd want to be running on the track, at a minimum. You might consider getting a dedicated set of track wheels (17x9s), depending on your level of interest.

For reference, I used to track a 540 6spd with 235/255 17s and upgraded sway bars before buying an M5 last year.

Short of modifying your suspension or buying different wheels, the best thing you can do is try not driving the car into understeer. Slow in, fast out.

Good luck, and have a fun season!
    '01 M5 ~ Le Mans Blue / Dinan JRZ Stage III suspension / BBS RGR forged wheels / Tubi exhaust / Rogue short shift kit
    Rogue tranny mounts / Axxis Ultimate brake pads / Brake ducts / Stoptech stainless brake lines / BPM sway bar brackets Hardwired V1

Registered Member
    Member No: 105159 liuk3 is an unknown quantity at this point liuk3's Avatar

Yes | No

thanks

I am definitely new to the track. I came into some M5 rims at a good price, so I will probably just keep using the stock ones for the track as tires will be cheaper.
    Thanks for your help.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information