+ Reply to Thread
    JR

Yes | No

Anyone have a clue?

as to what the small wire, that's on the positive terminal of the battery is? It is connected into the terminal with the main battery cable. It is loose on my 2001 3.0i Z3. I have some issues with the rear mounted disc changer that indicate intermittent loss of power.
    I haven't figured out what the wires purpose is or how it is actually secured to the cable terminal but it is not tight and moves easily.
    I thought it may have just plugged in to the cable clamp but not sure.
    How does the plastic cable clamp come apart?

any help appreciated

JR

Registered Member
    Member No: 12416 ZeattleDave2002 is an unknown quantity at this point ZeattleDave2002's Avatar

Yes | No

Could be an auxiliary item...

In my case, it's the alarm, but it could be a number of things on other cars. Are there any fuses nearby?

Dave out

JR

Yes | No

Re: Could be an auxiliary item...

No fuses nearby. It is a black wire with a yellow connector. It is original equipment.Really wish to know how it is fastened to the "+" cable connector as it is very loose. Can't figure out the black plastic cover over the cable that hides this wires attachment. Looks as though the cover it a two piece, snap together design, but hate to mess it up just randomly prying on it.

Registered Member
    Member No: 31591 crazydane is an unknown quantity at this point crazydane's Avatar

Yes | No

a guess

I think our cars have an integrated inertial battery disconnect built into the positive terminal clamp assembly. When a certain g load threshold is exceeded in an accident, the battery is effectively automatically disconnected. I think the part then has to be replaced to effectively reconnect the battery. However, in the event of an accident, the emergency blinkers are automatically activated and the doors unlocked. Probably some other stuff too.

I'm guessing this aux wire powers these post accident features, and thus need to circumvent the battery disconnect.

Crazydane
    1997 2.8

Registered Member
    Member No: 181703 burnhad is an unknown quantity at this point burnhad's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Anyone have a clue?

http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/2001%20BMW%20Z3%20-%20M%20Roadster%20-%20Z3%20-%20M%20Coupe%20Electrical%20Troubleshooting%20Manu al.pdf

The link is for the Z3 wiring diagram which shows one thick red lead 50RT going from the battery to the Battery Safety Terminal then on to the Jump Start Connection Point then to the Starter and Generator.
    The other smaller red lead 25RT going from the battery to Fuse 100 and then to the power distribution panel.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information