+ Reply to Thread
    Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 103184 rontek is an unknown quantity at this point rontek's Avatar

Yes | No

P1421 Error Code

Hello,

This morning my check engine light came on and when I scanned the codes I came up with P1421- Secondary Air Injector Valve Circuit Short to Ground. I have been reading the posts associated with this code and almost everybody that had this problem ALSO had the P1423- Secondary Air Injection Bank 1 Flow Too Low as well. I do not. The common solution to resolve this code appears to be replacement of the Secondary Air Pump, but I was wondering if anyone had experienced this code alone and if the fix was the same.

Thanks,

Ron

Registered Member
    Member No: 32548 cunnincc is an unknown quantity at this point cunnincc's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: P1421 Error Code

Is you pump working and sounding "normal"? If it's working, you may be able to save it by draining out the water and replacing the valve. Mine died completely after 3 cold starts, so you probably don't have very long.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e39/6279360-1.html

97 528i

Registered Member
    Member No: 121104 jordaaw1 is an unknown quantity at this point jordaaw1's Avatar

Yes | No

Excuse my ignorance, what's function of airpump?

Wally Jordaan - 2000 528i Steptronic - 132k
    Cape Town, South Africa

Previous babies:
    1994 740iA
    1992 730iA (V8)
    1996 328i 5speed
    1996 320iA (the wife's transport)

Registered Member
    Member No: 23375 Gans will become famous soon enough Gans's Avatar

Yes | No

adds additional air to combustion on cold start

Jay Gans
    Y2K 528 5spCT

jamrobin

Yes | No

Re: adds additional air to combustion on cold start

I may be way off, but I thought the air pump added air to the EXHAUST until the exhaust temperature came up and heated the cats to their operating temperature. Actually adds the air AFTER combustion...

It's an emmision part isn't it?

James Robinson.

Yes | No

Cameron,

Thanks for the link, thats GREAT info. I was wondering if you knew if the DIY is much different in my 99 528i vs your 97. Also do you think it could be as simple as "draining water" oout of the pump? I do not hear any unusual noises coming from the pump ans the car starts, warms up, idles and runs fine. (For now anyway) . The only symptom is the P1421 Code which by description would seem to be more of an "electrical" malfunction than a "mechanical one.

Thanks Again,

Ron

Cameron

Yes | No

True - reduces exhaust emissions when cold/rich

Cameron

Yes | No

Actually, I'm not sure what only one code means. Could be the water shorting out the pump that is causing the error, but the pump is still running to some extent.

Just draining the pump won't solve the problem; the real culprit is the vacuum valve which, after it fails, allows moisture from the exhaust to reach the pump. If you check for water and find it, you could replace the valve ($65). You may save the $200 pump.

Yes | No

Re: P1421 Error Code and Emissions Warranty ?

Thanks Again Cameron!

Can you (or anyone else) tell me what the reference to "Bank 1" or "Bank 2" in the trouble codes is? Does it refer to different components, or a different location in the air pump mechanism ? Also in some of the other posts I read people referring to an "80,000 mile" emissions warranty. Since my car is at 71,000 should this repair be covered by BMW ?

Yes | No

Re: P1421 Error Code and Emissions Warranty ?

Well just an update, I checked my code reader again this AM and I am now getting BOTH the P1421 and P1423. So I guess the diagnosos was correct.

jamrobin

Yes | No

"Air Pump" on the intake side would be SC! ;-)

Or turbo I guess...

Yes | No

P1421 and P142 Error Code Update

Well I had both my Check Valve and Air Pump replaced and found the culprit for failure of both. A 30 cent piece of Vacuum Tubing ! Turns out the thin Vacuum Tube that connects to the Check Valve to the Idle Control Valve, was too close to the block and became brittle and developed a small hole. When the vacuum was no longer there the Check Valve became stuck open and condensation filled the air pump with water and eventually shorted it out. So for anyone who has not experienced this failure yet, I suggest you check the condition of the vacuum tube that connects to your Check valve. It may save you a couple of HUNDRED $$$ Later !

Registered Member
    Member No: 21292 e36fl is an unknown quantity at this point e36fl's Avatar

Yes | No

thx for the update did ur car idle ruff when cold?

bmw

92'325i/5 w/150k, black,m3 contours/shift knob
    94'325ic/5 w/73k, white,supercharger,bbs,supersprint,k&n
    97'528i/a w/75k, white, stock
    91'300zx 2+2,130k turbo spoiler

Yes | No

Re: thx for the update did ur car idle ruff when cold?

Not this time, but I did have the cold idle problem a while back. Took it to the dealer and they said they could not find anything wrong, but it strangely it disappeard the next day !

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information