+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 115598 BeerCanBilly is an unknown quantity at this point BeerCanBilly's Avatar

Yes | No

3,0 zenith carbs on newer engine ?

I snuck over from an other board. I went and looked at what i thought was a 2002 shell but have no idea what I am looking at. The drivetrain is intact, the car is a 4 door brown that was rearended and most of the metal is gone. The only thing I can make out from the car is the ID plate under the drivers side window.

BMW 3,0
    fahrgest NR 3103180
    zul ges gew kg 1850

It has a straight 6 that ran before it was parked with a set dual zenith carbs.

My question is about the carbs. Are they rare or standard on this model. Are they reliable and will they fit on a newer BMW with a 6 cylinder or even worth taking off. I think this would be a great set up if i ever get around to an engine conversion. The new owner of the property wants the car out of the storage soon.

Velocewest

Yes | No

Re: 3,0 zenith carbs on newer engine ?

Well, you're on the right board. The car is an e3, generally called a Bavaria in the US. The Zeniths are the stock factory carb for that car. They are good, a 35/40 with vacuum secondaries. They have an undeserved bad reputation caused by lazy mechanics who would rather sell a set of Webers than tune a set of Zeniths.

As to putting them on a later engine, sure. Lots of people with Bavarias and E9 coupes run 3.5 L engines with Zeniths, they are more than adequate. Rebuild parts are slowly getting harder to find, but there are still at least a couple of reliable sources in the US, Mesa Performance and La Jolla Independent Service (www.bimmerdoc.com), both are in SoCal and on the WWW.

Tony

Registered Member
    Member No: 115598 BeerCanBilly is an unknown quantity at this point BeerCanBilly's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks for the help. I spent some time looking the car when I was there it must have been a blast to drive. Are the carbs and intake worth tearing out our are they a dime and dozen, or any other parts that are no longer available ?

Velocewest

Yes | No

Carbs and mani are worth little, maybe $25. If it has a brass radiator overflow tank, that might get you a few $. Interior parts are harder to come by. Dash, visors, console, glovebox, door panels might be worth it to eBay if perfect or close. Not going to make you rich.

Murray Fowler

Yes | No

Re: 3,0 zenith carbs?--rebuild kits

The Zenith carb is a desirable carb when properly set up as a few of us attest--am running them on a newly built 3.5L

Zenith rebuild kits-small and large varieties are sourced through Royze Importers-distributors:
    www.royze.com located in Garden Grove, CA

Owner has long term love affair with BMW's back to middle-60's

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information