+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 67765 davek43 is an unknown quantity at this point davek43's Avatar

Yes | No

E34-540i 6 speed shift kit install ??

Ok,

Spent some time under the vehicle yesterday. I have a busing kit from Pelican Auto Parts and also a line a a UUC or Bav Auto Short shift Kit. Reqardless of which option is the best , how the heck do you remove the existing shift lever and bushings etc. Bentley manual(which I am very disappointed in btw)indicates that drive shaft & exhaust needs to removed....ouch! Any one have detail on installing a short shifter or a bushing kit???

Thanks much,
    Dave K.

jeffo

Yes | No

I changed my shifter to a Z3 lever without....

removing the exhaust or driveshaft. There are three clips you have remove under the car. Two are fairly easy, get sever flat screw drivers of various sizes before you get under the car (on jackstands) and pry the clips off. The hardest one is on the top of the transmission and is known as the "[Oops!] clip". It is barbed on the inside where you can not see it. The best procedure is to buy a new one, in case you need it, then simply bend the tang on the old one until you can get it out. It must swing up to allow the pin to be removed. I have always been able to get them out and re-bend it to useable condition. Also the plastic bushing that holds the shifter is easier to remove after the lever and support bar are out of the car.

Jeff
    95 525i

Vlad 540i/6

Yes | No

540i and 525i different shift arm

Same shift lever and maybe even selector rod but the shifting arm is totally different. E34 540i shift arm actually looks like E39

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information