+ Reply to Thread
    Eric

Yes | No

IPOD adaptor for E39

Apple and BMW have teamed up to create an IPOD adaptor for 2002- cars not including the E39. My question is can I get this functionality on my 2000 540i?

Eric

Yes | No

Re: IPOD adaptor for E39

I listen to audiobooks and hate that the turning off the car does not pause my MP3 player like it does with the CD player because I continually lose my place.

Can anyone think of another way to accomplish this if not with an IPOD interface - assuming that would even accomplish the desired goal...

Registered Member
    Member No: 110209 danl is an unknown quantity at this point danl's Avatar

Yes | No

Try the Dension adaptor. It plugs your ipod into the CD changer connection port on the radio. You can control your ipod from the steerling wheel controls.

http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=375&Itemid=79

Registered Member
    Member No: 11077 topgear996 is an unknown quantity at this point topgear996's Avatar

Yes | No

i use a cassette adaptor and get very reasonable sound.. tho battery life in my ipod mini is a JOKE, i would've thrown it out of my car a long time ago had it not been a gift from my baby

----------------
    2003 S2000 Sebring/Red
    1999 BMW 540 Sport Black/Black

Registered Member
    Member No: 64559 crusader is an unknown quantity at this point crusader's Avatar

Yes | No

Several possibilities ...

For full control: Dension, Monster, one other (can't remember the name). They essentially replace the CD changer. Dension currently leads the pack, I've read good and not-so-good reviews on their unit.

Otherwise, you'll have to cobble something together using a blitzsafe or similar adapter.

Later production E39's have an aux adapter for the radio, but while you can set it to use switched power, the ipod will play merrily along on its battery.Crusader

2003 530i SP/PP/Xenon

dylan

Yes | No

I hae the Denison and it works GREAT. I wish it displayed song info on head unit, but that is the radios fault, not the icelink+. It pauses the iPod whenever you turn off the car, or switch out of CD mode, also charges the ipod,and gives you direct access to the first 5 playlists. Highly recomend.

M5 LiTE

Yes | No

I have iPod Mini and Dension iceLink Plus

What a great combo. I have hte iPod moundted in the cabin of the car for full user functionality and the sound quality is awesome.

Blair

Yes | No

I just installed the Dension iceLink and love it. Dension has just released a Beta MP3 file that will place the song title and artist on the display of the MID. It works great! I installed myself and the headunit end in about 15 minutes.

gokooljapan

Yes | No

can you please email me what you bought from dension to get it to work on your E39? what year is your E39? I know there are different options you can get. How much was the whole contraption?

ThankS1

[email protected]

Lgwap0

Yes | No

Please copy me as well. 2000 540i

[email protected]

thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 34867 heavymetalx is an unknown quantity at this point heavymetalx's Avatar

Yes | No

Dension IceLink

I have a 2001 540iT WITH DSP option. Just completed the install of IceLink Plus few weeks ago. The integration is very good, minus the text display on Nav - couldn't get that to work. How the IceLink works:

1. Factory CD changer is removed.
    2. Digital output from IceLink, a small coaxial cable, is plugged in in place of CD changer.
    3. Power is supplied to the digital converter, which I needed because of the DSP signal.
    4. Mount Dension cradle anywhere in the car. Plug in your iPod.
    5. Switch radio control to CD. Use radio buttons and/or steering wheel to control volume and switch between songs. Browsing through playlists or otherwise is possible through IceLink's own iPod interfact, but I found it cumbersom. Retaining iPod's native interface on the unit allows me to flip between songs using car's controls, yet retains full control on the iPod as well.
    When iPod is in the Dension's cradle, and vehicle is running, the unit is charged. When the vehicle is shut off, iPod is automatically paused and turned off as well. Upon restart, you resume where you left off, just like a CD player/changer.

Overall, I am very happy with the integration and convinience. However, the sound quality, while very very acceptable, is NOT like that coming from a factory CD. For most people, myself included, it is sufficient. But, if you are very selective about that sort of thing, try to get a preview before purchase. I am in Philadelphia area - if anyone is interested, feel free to contact for a demo.

Gary2001 540iT
    Black/Gray

IPOOP

Yes | No

IPOD's sux

Bimmer530

Yes | No

Can you please email me too about that information.
    Mine is a 2001 530ia SP/PP Non-DSP / Cassette /
    Dension's (part No., model, how much the kit)

Thanks a lot,
    Bimmer530

Registered Member
    Member No: 71237 hayseed is an unknown quantity at this point hayseed's Avatar

Yes | No

can you just post the bill of materials please ?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information