+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 104608 cue37 is an unknown quantity at this point cue37's Avatar

Yes | No

EDC 750il Help!

Hi:
    I just bought a '98 750il that has the EDC system. I need to put new struts all around. I noticed how much the EDC approved struts cost for the rears, which is obviously quite a bit more than the non-EDC type. I guess my question is am I only able to buy the more expensive EDC ones or can I just use HD Bilsteins and forget about the EDC? If I decide not to use the EDC function, is that enough,
    or is the strut physically different in size, configuration,etc?
    I couldn't help myself, even with high gas prices I love the car.
    Thanks for you help.

Steve

Yes | No

You bought a car that cost north of

$90,000 when new. Of course replacement parts will be expensive. Duh. Either replace the EDC shocks with EDC shocks, or consider selling the car and buying one you can actually afford to maintain. Don't bastardize the car; it deserves better than that.

Carl H

Yes | No

Ask the E31 board, bunch of bastards there.

:) Not sure what I'm going to do when my day comes.

Terry

Yes | No

I did this in the front, I am sure the rear is the

same set up. I can't tell the difference in ride, only in my pocket.

Good luck!

Registered Member
    Member No: 49568 gmanbumpy is an unknown quantity at this point gmanbumpy's Avatar

Yes | No

Don't harsh on him-people who put "V12" badges

on 750iL's are the real culprits.

Doing without a seldom-used gadget that is way obsolete compared to the Corvette's system is not "bastardization," IMHO.Gman
    '95 750iL (no one's bought it yet...)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Cool your egos-answer my original question please

I really don't care what anyone prefers.
    I am simply asking a technical question.

Irie740

Yes | No

Don't bother about idiots Boss... It's easy to >>

retrofit other struts to your car. I have done it on the front of my car but not on the rear yet. There are some posts on the board. Do a search you should find alot of information.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Was there any retrofitting other than EDC??...

actually disconnecting the EDC from the strut.
    The reason I'm asking is I want to make sure I can still use the
    stock springs, and is there anything else special that has to be ordered or is it straight. I notice that Bilstein notes a EDC and non-EDC, how does this affect me, if at all?

Registered Member
    Member No: 55687 newmexicomatt is an unknown quantity at this point newmexicomatt's Avatar

Yes | No

huh?

just curious, as I'm an e31 owner also, what you mean regarding that statement??
    Matt
    Matt
    '94 850CSi #37 individual tobago blue
    '97 750il calypso red
    '01 X5 4.4i
    '56 Lincoln Mark II

Joe ///M

Yes | No

E31 boarder here, too.

You dirty bstd.

AND I have a V12 badge on my 850i.

///M

Registered Member
    Member No: 3765 squenton is an unknown quantity at this point squenton's Avatar

Yes | No

HAHAHAHA! EDC is a seldom used gadget that is obs

Uhhh no! Gman, I say this with the best of intention...but it sounds like you don't "really" know what EDC is and how it works on your car.

You may have "seldomly" pushed the EDC button...but rest assured it was working all along regardless if you knew it and without you ever touching the button...and its taken this long for GM to put a system of this type on the Corvette. In fact...EDC IS "real time damping" and was first introduced in the BMW 7 series back in 1990 on the 750iL. My 1991 735iL even had EDC.

If I understood the link you provided to the Corvette's (GM) "Magnetic Selective Ride Control"...it basically works the same way that BMW's EDC works. EDC is 4 electronically controled dampers that receive data from several sensors around the car which includes the steering wheel, acceleration, and lateral/horizontal sensors. The EDC struts have 2 electronic solonoids with different sized orifices that open or close. This moves oil within the struts from the upper chamber to the lower chamber. There are actually 3 damping parameters...soft, medium, & hard (sport). The default parameter is soft (comfort) but as the EDC control receives the electronic data from the sensors...it will automatically open the orifices based upon the way the car is being driven or road condition, etc...and the struts will can/will go into medium or sport mode. Again, this is without the driver actually pushing the EDC button. When the driver does use the EDC button, the "soft" mode is locked out and the car will respond to the "sport" mode much quicker. Then when you add rear self leveling (that's standard equip on the V12)...this adds another level of stability to the driving dynamic in that the rear end always stays level and any type of undulation or lateral/longitudinal forces that could upset the driving dynamic remains steady.

So if that is what the Corvette system is doing...it's o b s o l e t e, too. ;-)

BTW, just in case you think I'm blowing smoke...here's a link that describes what I tried to explain above:
    http://www.bmwworld.com/technology/edc.htm

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Q
    95 525iT (Alpine White) 97 740iL (Arctic Silver)

my Qsilver7 cardomain site

bikeman

Yes | No

I replaces ALL my EDC srtuts with non-EDC but you

have to replace the whole strut assemblies..Find a wrecker that has a non-EDC car and buy all 4 corners..Much better value and it works great.

bikeman

Yes | No

the springs are specific to EDC or non-EDC

Registered Member

Yes | No

Other Roadfly boardrooms are a 10 in comparison

I also own other bmw's. The atmosphere is diametrically opposed to the crap in this room. Other rooms answer the questions with great amounts of information. This board has along way to go before it will compare. I'm very disappointed in the lack of information that is shared based on my question...and my first at that.
    It is my money, my car, my way!
    I finally went to [Oops!]....we'll see if they are more cooperative. I'll certainly let you know while your heads roost in the clouds. Thanks to some for trying to answer my question and thank you very little to the rest of you!

Registered Member
    Member No: 24318 JohnG is an unknown quantity at this point JohnG's Avatar

Yes | No

Magnetic Ride v. EDC

The BMW system is an older, slower real time damping system. Yes,EDC and Magnetic Ride Control both measure the same things and use that info to adjust the shocks as fast as possible. The difference is that EDC shocks use mechanical valves, while the Magnetic Ride shocks use the special fluid plus electromagnets to change the shock valving quicker than any other system on the market. The BMW EDC system is obsolete compared to the GM system only because of reaction time - the GM system is much faster to react to the information it recieves from its sensors. The revolutionary part of the GM system was doing away with the mechanical valves that make the shocks adjustable.

The Corvette is not behind the curve in this area, it had an avaiable adjustable shock abosorber system like EDC as early as 1989.

Back on point, I agree with Q that disabling EDC is not my cup of tea. But I also don't like to disable SLS either, and plenty of people do that. I'm a bit of a purist, and for me the value of owning an older luxury car comes from keeping it in great shape. Part of that is making sure the subsystems that made the car great when it was new continue to function properly.

On the other hand, sometimes you just don't have the $ to keep up with that goal. And while I wouldn't want to ditch EDC, I have to admit it's not that bad to do so, since the majority of E38s came from the factory without it, and were still ultimate driving machines.

Registered Member
    Member No: 56063 hubby_lubby is an unknown quantity at this point hubby_lubby's Avatar

Yes | No

bling-bling

badge for you

Giray (hubby_lubby) and Medusa (754iL with 3.45LS Rear, BAY-Bee!)
    My web presence

Registered Member
    Member No: 49568 gmanbumpy is an unknown quantity at this point gmanbumpy's Avatar

Yes | No

My thoughts exactly, plus....

JohnG bet me to it. However, it is my understanding that the Corvette's Magnetic Ride system can respond mid-stroke - e.g., in the middle of a bump in the road. So, I think the term "real-time" should not apply to the BMW EDC system. That's just my opinion.

Regarding the facts, Q mistakenly cited an article that described a system (EDC III) that wasn't available on billy's car (a '98).

Here's a quote from the article that Q cited:

"Third-generation EDC (EDC III) became available on most 5, 7 and X5 vehicles in model year 2001."

So, yes, Q, I do think you are just blowing smoke. Next time, you should read the text of the sources on which you base your arguments.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH yourself, Q!

On a side note, see the following Delphi press release:

"Delphi Secures Two New MagneRide™ Customers
    First European Applications for Advanced Suspension System

European drivers soon will be able to experience Delphi Corp.’s (NYSE: DPH) revolutionary MagneRide™ system for the first time, on a European marque, Delphi officials said today at the 2004 Mondial auto show.

Two premier European vehicle manufacturers have selected the technology for future home market applications. The manufacturers will develop controllable dampers utilizing Delphi’s newest generation of MagneRide technology to further enhance vehicle ride and handling characteristics. Delphi’s collaboration with these two manufacturers on this technology is a first for Delphi in Europe. The customer names and programs remain confidential and will be announced at a later date.

MagneRide is a high-performance, semi-active suspension control system that responds in real time to road and driving conditions based on input from sensors that monitor body and wheel motions. The system provides fast, smooth, continuously variable damping in a cost effective and reliable package that reduces body motion and increases tire road contact on all types of surfaces. ....."

Wouldn't it be ironic if one of the two "premier European vehicle manufacturers" turns out to be BMW?
    Gman
    '95 750iL (no one's bought it yet...)

Registered Member
    Member No: 55687 newmexicomatt is an unknown quantity at this point newmexicomatt's Avatar

Yes | No

great post

now I understand what that button is for! Thanks, Matt
    Matt
    '94 850CSi #37 individual tobago blue
    '97 750il calypso red
    '01 X5 4.4i
    '56 Lincoln Mark II

Registered Member
    Member No: 56063 hubby_lubby is an unknown quantity at this point hubby_lubby's Avatar

Yes | No

What does Vette have to do w/this? I'll tell you

what obsoltete is: Replacing an EDC system with heavy duty shocks is obsolete.

Maybe you were gently persuading he replace EDC with the Vette's obsolete magnetic system? Obsolete because the E65 released one year before the Vette's magnetic system was already better?

BWAH-HAH-HAH-HAH!!

Regards,
    A V12 badge blinger. (And what does a plastic badge have to w/this?)

Giray (hubby_lubby) and Medusa (754iL with 3.45LS Rear, BAY-Bee!)
    My web presence

Terry

Yes | No

Yes, just leave it unplugged. Bilstein only sell

the none EDC. You have to get the EDC from the dealer and they are over $800.00 each "parts only". I got my struts from Sears, the Monroe brand for $75.00 each with a lifetime warrenty, and I CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE. There is a write up on changing struts and springs on E38.org with very good instructions. My only problem was compressing the spring with a hand compressor. I ended up taking the assembly to a shop and paid $40.00 for them to insert the new strut. "Well worth it".

Terry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information