+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 123222 rdickson is an unknown quantity at this point rdickson's Avatar

Yes | No

XK8 Trunk llid will not open due to Vale mode

I've just purchased a 1999 Xk8, but I only got one key with it, and when I try to press the trunk lid button on the dash, i get a beep and the dash says Valet mode. I've tried pressing the valet button but that does not work, also I cannot open it manually becasue by trunk does not have a manual lock where you insert your key, I thought there was a manual override on the trunk hidden between the XK8 letters?, but I've looked all over the trunk and cannot find anything. Can anyone help me get my trunk open.

Registered Member
    Member No: 81552 john.millar7 is an unknown quantity at this point john.millar7's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: XK8 Trunk llid will not open due to Vale mode

look at the XK8 badge below the rear light unit, there is a keyhole hiding there. It should open the trunk, if it's not siezed through lack of use.

Rob

Yes | No

Unless your one key is the green valet key...

...instead of the black normal key. Then you may have a problem.

RHankey

Yes | No

Sounds like you have only a valet key.

A green key is a valet key which will not allow you access to the trunk, regardless of what buttons you press or where you insert the key.

A black key should open the mechanical trunk lock, but as John mentioned, since this lock is seldom used, it usually needs a liberal dose of penetrating oil and wiggling with the key to loosen up.

The valet button enables valet mode, and thus disables the trunk release.

A black key will also permit the dash mounted trunk release button to work, so long as you have not pressed the valet button.

Bloodworm

Yes | No

you also need to have the black key in the ignition when taking it in and out of valet mode. but if you are using the green key, then I think it autmatically goes into valet mode for you and locks out the trunk.

Registered Member
    Member No: 81552 john.millar7 is an unknown quantity at this point john.millar7's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Unless your one key is the green valet key...

The only difference that stops the valet key opening the trunk/boot is that it won't go as far into the lock barrel as the normal keys. As a last resort you could file the sides of the tip of the valet key to make it work.

Registered Member
    Member No: 123222 rdickson is an unknown quantity at this point rdickson's Avatar

Yes | No

Thank you all, unfortunately that does not work, I only have a Black key, which seems to mean that I can get it out of valet mode right? but how?, do I just put the key in the ignition and press the valet button? (tried that and it does not work) Also I dont have a keyhole on the back of the Car. For some stupid reason someone has plastered ans repainted over it. which is crazy, so my only option is to use the trunk release button, at least until I can get it open and uncover the original kehole on the back. Any thought here?. If I have the black key I should still be able to get in? what iff I dissconnect the battery will that reset the valet button?

RHankey

Yes | No

Geez, One kind of wonders what you might find in the trunk when you finally get it open. Did the previous owner mysteriously dissapear?

Valet mode is reset (turned off) the next time you insert (and perhaps turn) the black key in the ignition. Don't press the Valet button, as doing so, enables Valet mode again which will disable the dash and trunk lid trunk release buttons.

If the previous owner truly removed the trunk lock, and the dash trunk release doesn't work, then I think you have two remaining options:
    1. Get a keyless remote fob (you can buy them fairly cheaply from places like ebay) programmed for your car, and use the trunk release button on the key fob.
    2. Drill a strategically placed hole in the trunk lid behind the license plate so you can release the trunk.

Disconnecting the battery isn't likely to help you, and in any event, the battery is located in the locked trunk!

lionofcamelot

Yes | No

Ut Oh...

Some one has plastered over and repainted the trunk lock? Sound like some extensive repair work has happened to your car. I hope you were aware of it before you bought it!!! The key hole is supposed to be between the X and the K in the XK8 badge on the rear of the car. Keep your hands off the valet button! Every time you press it, you put the car back into Valet mode.
    Is this a recovered salvage vehicle or something? No keyless remote or valet key and master key? It sounds like the key you have is a copy of the valet key, if it doesn't come out of valet mode when you insert it in the ignition and turn it.

Vic

Yes | No

Re: Valet mode release

The ignition has nothing to do with Valet Mode.

To release, you must open the trunk with a remote, or use a black headed key in the mechanical trunk lock cylinder. The act of opening the trunk releases Valet Mode.

fredvs

Yes | No

The trunk key on my 97 coupe is inside the 8 of the xk8

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thank you all for the comments, I'm still locked out and every day when I drive the car the valet still seems to be in operation no matter what I do or how many time i take the key in and out, so I guess I have an electronics problem. I've taken the XK8 decals off the rear just to be sure they were not covering the keyhole and they are not, there is definately no key hole, so I'm now worried about what I'll find inside. I think my only option is to get hold of a key fob and use the trunk opne button, but does that still work if the car is always in Valet mode?. Or I counld drill a hole behind the licince plate, but I'm not sure where to drill and what to look for once I've Broken in, so the keyfob if the 1st option, but why does the car remain in Valet mode all the time? any ideas

Registered Member
    Member No: 117237 xk8-uk is an unknown quantity at this point xk8-uk's Avatar

Yes | No

The car will remove itself from valet mode when you use the key fob to open the trunk.

Does sound like the only option. (cant understand why someone would shave the lock) Other than security.

lionofcamelot

Yes | No

Perhaps Valet button is stuck on

If the valet button is stuck on (or closed) that would explain why it won't come out of Valet mode. Thats my guess anyway :)

Vic

Yes | No

You must open the trunk by some means to remove the Valet mode. Nothing else will do it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information