+ Reply to Thread
    davez525

Yes | No

telescoping steering column

Ok, Im certain my column is frozen because I release the clamp & it doesnt travel at all.
    Approx. how far does it telescope in inches?

(89, 525)

Dave.

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 38242
    Inner Circle ©143 since: Jan 06, 2005 otto99 is on a distinguished road otto99's Avatar

Yes | No

Me, too

Mine does move a half inch or so, but I think it should move a tad more. Fortunately, I like where the wheel sits, so it hasn't been a problem. I do miss a tilt feature when exiting the car, though. First car I've had without a tilting wheel in over ten years.

Greg
    92 535i

Registered Member
    Member No: 122874 535i_High is an unknown quantity at this point 535i_High's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: telescoping steering column

Is this feature availible on the 1990 model year of the 535's?

Mark

'90 535ia - KQQL BMW
    '85 318i
    '76 2K2

davez525

Yes | No

Re: Me, too

Thatz what I thought. A 1/2" isnt much for all the hardware they put into it.

Dave.

davez525

Yes | No

I dont know, you would have to reach under the bottom side of your column & feel for a lever / clamp

Dave.

Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

It should move over an inch more like 3-4. Some of the early build date E34's with drivers air bag did not have the adjusting lever. If you have the lever or on the later models the stalk on the steering collum will move or allow at least an amount equal to the above.

If yours does have the lever or the stal (electric), check the large nut at the base of the steering shaft behind the panel and pedals. I bought one at one time that the nut had been tightened too tight and it would not budge until I loosened it. You can also lightly lube that telescoping shaft a bit to make it move easier. It's easier to put a wrench on the nut, put the key in the ignition and turn on (not start) so the steering wheel will turn. Hold the nut with the wrench and turn the steering wheel.

ndrzdad

Yes | No

Re: Me, too

I have a '94 530iT that has the common stuck telescoping steering column. I, too, could only get about 1/2 inch movement and agree there is a lot of gear under there for only 1/2 inch movement. I'm almost ashamed to admit that after loosening the big nut, I squirted penetrating oil, pried, tapped (ok, hammered...) pried some more, all with no appreciable change. THEN (drumroll...) I used heat on the telescoping portion. I didn't want to chance burning the car up with a torch, so used an electric heat gun designed to ease removal of paint. I aimed the heated air at the portion at the nut and just above it for no more than two minutes. VOILA!!! I believe the grease in the splines had hardened and stuck the two pieces together. Now I get complete travel, which is much more than 1/2 inch. I tightened the nut back until I could still adjust the steering wheel, but there was some smooth resistance. I had searched many forums without success, but this process was very quick and successful. Hope it helps anyone else who finds it.
    Take care.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information